Tanu Das's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: owned, all-time-favorite
Read from December 01 to 05, 2011

Rating: 3.5

A group of British boys get stranded on an island after their plane crashes. At first, the kids revel in their freedom, and lack of an authority figure. But slowly, these well educated kids turn into savages, and give way to their natural animalistic side. The political and biblical undertones of this novel are very interesting. So is symbolism of the conch shell and lord of the flies. It has a deeper meaning than what meets the eye.

I think the characters, and their development through out the novel, makes the book what it is. We have a reasonable and calm Ralph, a violent and impulsive Jack, the overweight and intelligent Piggy and the spiritual Simon. No villain or heroes in this novel; we only have perfectly civilized pre-adolescents, who in the lack of an authority figure and a society, react, in different ways. Golding’s portrays Ralph as someone not completely immune to violence, has self doubt and is uncertain about the presence of the "beast". He makes mistakes, is a bit vain, and very very real.Similarly all the other characters too have a lot of depth. Their actions (though horrific) don’t seem so incredulous. They add the real charm to the book and keeps it from being unrealistic.

Now coming to the things that I didn’t like. First would be the abruptness of the ending. Feels like, Golding suddenly had something very important to do, and wrapped up this incredible story, terribly hastily. I as a reader feel cheated about it. We at least deserved a final confrontation between Ralph and Jack. You can’t make so much happen in the last 4 chapters and then end a book like this. Not fair at all!

Secondly, 200 something pages are not enough to have so much happening at the same time. I have come across several novels which have exasperated me with their length, unnecessary information and their detailed descriptions of the scenery. This would be the first novel which has made me crave for more pages (not in the good way, in the necessary way). Golding may not have made it LOTR long, but a minimum of 500 pages is required to do full justice to a topic like this.

Finally, my recommendation would be to read this novel at your own risk. I can understand how many people wouldn’t like it a bit, so I am not taking any responsibility. As for my opinion, I thought that this book offers a very authentic, disturbing and convincing portrayal of man’s descent to savagery and his inherent lust for violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

12/03/2011 page 109

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tarun :)..well well..we almost read the same stuff!

Tanu Das uh-oh, a 2 star rating from you. Didn't like it much?

Tarun :D dont want to comment and spoil ur party while ur reading!...read it n we'll discuss.

message 4: by Inoli (new) - added it

Inoli Excellent review. It's been too long since I've read this to remember the ending or much detail. I just pulled out a copy I bought earlier in the year and put it on the top of a stack. I'll be coming back and looking for the further discussion between you and Tarun.

Tanu Das Inoli wrote: "Excellent review. It's been too long since I've read this to remember the ending or much detail. I just pulled out a copy I bought earlier in the year and put it on the top of a stack. I'll be comi..."

there wasn't any remarkable ending, which is exactly why you don't remember it.

Eshan Kanwar I liked the ending; there was only one direction in which the story could go, and I am glad it didn't that way. Not that it makes much of a difference after what happened in the last few pages. This is the third depressing book I have read in last couple of months, so it had no shock value for me. May be that's why I liked it so much.

message 7: by Tanu (last edited Jan 28, 2012 03:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tanu Das Eshan wrote: "I liked the ending; there was only one direction in which the story could go, and I am glad it didn't that way. Not that it makes much of a difference after what happened in the last few pages. Thi..."

I didn’t hate the ending either. I hated the abruptness of it.
Anyway, I am glad you liked the novel. What’s next on the list?

Eshan Kanwar @Tanu- I got Arvind Adiga's Last Man in Tower and Forester's A Passage to India to choose from. I am thinkin Adiga..

Kevin Fuller Gurl, I'ma be real with you. You are literally cancer! Why did you rate it 3.5 and give it a 5 star rating! You are literally worse than Hitler. Die!

message 10: by Kevin (new) - rated it 1 star

Kevin Fuller PS I agree with the points you made in this review. :)