Shayantani Das's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: really-good, hilarious, short-and-sweet
Read in January, 2012

Very very funny and David reading these stories himself was just the icing of the cake. Lots of lol moments, especially precious memories.

Read again on 22 January, 2012 ,

Recently a goodread friend asked me whether he should read David Sedaris. I said yes, of course, but at the same time, I started rummaging around my place, turning my house upside down looking for my audiobook CD. Reading Margaret Atwood got me in a really gloomy mood recently, but David Sedaris has successfully cheered me up again.

The best essays in the book are about David’s struggle to learn French. His problem with the gender associated to French words for example: vagina is masculine and masculinity is feminine. Try as he might, he can’t find connection there. His thoughts:

“I find it ridiculous to assign a gender to an inanimate object incapable of disrobing and making an occasional fool of itself. Why refer to lady crack pipe or good sir dishrag when these things could never live up to all that their sex implied?”

Impeccable logic there, don’t you think?

His French teacher is not very kind either. This time for instance:

“I hate you' she said to me one afternoon. 'I really, really hate you.' Call me sensitive, but I couldn't help but take it personally.”

David also has some interesting remarks about Americans he meets in Paris. Like that time when a couple thought he was a French pick pocket. Ahh, you would think that I won’t laugh at all those jokes again. But I did, I so did! I laughed and laughed as if some one was tickling me. David Sedaris! Gosh, he is funny…

Please, please listen to the audio book. I know many people hate this book, but please just try it in his voice. The way he says it, his intonations. He is a smartass, is hilariously self-debasing.

Highly recommended but only in the audio format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Quotes Shayantani Liked

David Sedaris
“Every day we're told that we live in the greatest country on earth. And it's always stated as an undeniable fact: Leos are born between July 23 and August 22, fitted queen-size sheets measure sixty by eighty inches, and America is the greatest country on earth. Having grown up with this in our ears, it's startling to realize that other countries have nationalistic slogans of their own, none of which are 'We're number two!”

David Sedaris
“On my fifth trip to France I limited myself to the words and phrases that people actually use. From the dog owners I learned "Lie down," "Shut up," and "Who shit on this carpet?" The couple across the road taught me to ask questions correctly, and the grocer taught me to count. Things began to come together, and I went from speaking like an evil baby to speaking like a hillbilly. "Is thems the thoughts of cows?" I'd ask the butcher, pointing to the calves' brains displayed in the front window. "I want me some lamb chop with handles on 'em.”

07/14/2011 "Lol lol lol, love listening to David:)" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catie I love him so much - and you're right, the audios are the best. No one can read it in exactly the same way that he does.

message 2: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy I am going to try to remember to get his audio book....
Note to self: Do not forget to pick up the audio version!

message 3: by Vishy (new)

Vishy Nice review! I read this book sometime back and liked it very much. My favourite scene is the book is when Sedaris talks about his brother and father :) And about how his father puts stuff in his pockets :) If you would like to read my review, you can find it here - http://vishytheknight.wordpress.com/2...

Shayantani Das I saw your review,it’s good! I remember the passages about Paul. They were hilarious. Did you finally read Holidays on Ice? If you haven’t then at least listen to the essay called 6-8 black men. It will have you rolling on the floor laughing your head off.

Also, you must must must listen to David Sedaris narrating one of his essays. Gosh he takes it to another level altogether. You must must must!