Kara's Reviews > Good in Bed

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Jun 24, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

Okay, I admit it, very reluctantly... I like chick-lit. Scratch that, I like well written chick-lit- sometimes. (As you can probably tell, I'm NOT a huge fan of the stigma of being a chick-lit reader.) This falls into the well-written category, though. I went out of town for the weekend and, horror of horrors, left my book at home. A friend had given me this to read with her endorsement, and it was still in my car, so what the heck?

The set-up for this story is an eye-rolling cliche. It's been done and redone and overdone... sassy twenty-something ambitious journalist (they're always journalists!) working for a trendy publication, making her way in the big city, feeling insecure and lamenting the absence of Mr. Right. Very Mary Tyler Moore meets Carrie Bradshaw. ::yawn:: We get it already.

However.

I couldn't help really liking our heroine Cannie. For one thing, she's not some tiny little waif whining about her weight; she's a bona-fide, size-sixteen, full figured gal, and the insecurities that come with it are very real and very relatable to, let's face it, a fairly significant chunk of the U.S. female population. Her defense mechanism for combatting those insecurities? Humor. Gotta love it. I think she and I would be friends in real life. (lol) I also enjoyed her merry band of misfit supporting characters.

All in all, while parts of the plot were a bit too cutesy and idealistic for my taste, it got 'real' in the end, and wrapped up nicely but not TOO perfectly. I think the author's work warrants a second chance, at least, next time I'm in the mood for a good 'beach read.' :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good in Bed.