Bonnie's Reviews > The Lantern

The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson

Jun 24, 2011

bookshelves: pn-ghosties, adult, literary-fiction, gothic, owned-book, mystery, buddy-reads-mom, arcs-netgalley, z-2011
Read from August 30 to September 02, 2011

The Lantern was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for HarperCollins.

The Lantern is a superbly written and beautiful story that is completely enthralling. I found it hard to put down because the mystery of the story is so fascinating. I found the author’s writing style to be quite wordy at first, but each description causes the scene to unfold as if you were actually experiencing it. I’ve incorporated several lines from the story itself to add some of that descriptiveness to my review and because they were some of my favorite quotes.

The story is about the relationship between Eve and Dom and the life they build together. From the beginning of the story you’re involved in their troubled relationship and the internal conflict that Eve is currently having. Not all is revealed, you’re only given bits and pieces, but it’s quite captivating.

”Until it happens to you, you don’t know how it will feel to stay with a man who has done a terrible thing. Not to know whether the worst has happened or is yet to come; wanting so badly to trust him now.”

The couple purchases a rural house in the south of France and immediately feels that this was all meant to be somehow.

”The property drew us in immediately. Not love at first sight, exactly, not as explosive as that: more a
deep, promising undertow, as if it had been waiting for us, and we for it.”

As much as they love the property, the more time they spend there the more the uneasiness begins to set in.

”The longer we stayed, the less it seemed to belong to us.”

When Eve sees an apparition of a woman on the property, her mind is unable to fully comprehend what she had just seen.

”Everyone wants answers and tidy conclusions, but in life they don’t always materialize. You settle for the best outcome you can manage, and accept that you can’t explain everything. The subconscious mind sometimes makes surreal connections, like the ones in dreams. Tricks of the light were all around.

As the story continues, the story begins switching back and forth between the past and the present, between Eve and Bénédicte. Bénédicte is a young woman who in the past used to live in the same house that Eve and Dom currently reside at. The past and the present ultimately collide and the revelation behind all the constant mystery is quite intriguing.

Throughout the story the author constantly keeps your interest as she’ll throw you a tid bit here and there about what may be potentially going on, but will leave it at that, a simple sentence. This is a great novel to do as a read along (speaking from personal experience as I read this with another) because there is an enormous amount of information that is easier to sort out if you’re able to discuss with someone.

The books ending wrapped all the questions culminated throughout reading this book quite nicely even though it ended up being not quite what I had originally thought.

”All of which goes to show how dangerous it is to assume connections where there are none, to link events that have no link, to want tidy storytelling when real life is not like that, to draw too much on the imagination when it is so often misleading.”

Lovely novel.

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lantern.

08/30/2011
10.0% "But in the months we had been together, I’d come to recognize that what seemed like an electric charge between us when his mood was sunny could switch without warning, leaving me adrift in a cold, black void."
08/30/2011
23.0% "Part II - Chapter 7"
08/31/2011
28.0% "Part II Chapter 10"
09/01/2011
49.0% "Part II Chapter 16"
09/02/2011
54.0% ""The lamplight went cloudy as if the bulb was glowing from inside a shell, leaving the room nacreous as an early morning when mist still covers the sun.""
09/02/2011
70.0% "Part III Chapter 16"

Bonnie I really like it. It's got some serious mystery going on and the author's writing is beautiful.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "I really like it. It's got some serious mystery going on and the author's writing is beautiful."

I was thinking about getting it but I have so many netgally books to read. I was doing so good for a short time on not requesting & then that all went to hell!

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I really like it. It's got some serious mystery going on and the author's writing is beautiful."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Yeah I had to stop mentally beating myself up for my enormous netgalley list. It was no use. I just try and read one like every other book at least. :)..."

That is a good plan.

Bonnie I tried making myself read nothing but netgalley books and somehow overnight I ended up hating all of them. So that doesn't work, in case you were thinking of trying that. lol

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "I tried making myself read nothing but netgalley books and somehow overnight I ended up hating all of them. So that doesn't work, in case you were thinking of trying that. lol"

I tried that one time and the same thing happened. Now, I read whatever "mood" I'm in. If I don't and I try to go against my moods, it won't work. I was just in a m/m erotica mood so if I tried to read YA, well, as you can imagine, that would be very bad! LOL

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I tried making myself read nothing but netgalley books and somehow overnight I ended up hating all of them. So that doesn't work, in case you were thinking of trying that. lol"

I ..."

Exactly! I can imagine that would not be good. lol

message 9: by Lora (last edited Aug 31, 2011 01:38PM) (new) - added it

Lora I'm glad you're liking this, Bonnie. :) I actually won a copy of this from Goodreads first reads about a month ago, but I've not got to reading it yet.

Bonnie Isn't winning books the best thing ever? lol

It's very different... I'm finding it hard to really classify it. Definitely interesting though and a real page turner.

message 11: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Believe it or not, I'd never won anything before this book! I was really shocked (and happy) when I found out.

They're (meaning the publishers) comparing this to Rebecca, a book that I read and loved not very long ago; that's part of the reason why I've not read it yet. Since their plots are so similar, I don't want to read them too close together, you know?

Anyway, I feel like I'm cutting in on you ladies' convo, so . . . Happy reading! :)

Bonnie Lora wrote: "Believe it or not, I'd never won anything before this book! I was really shocked (and happy) when I found out.

They're (meaning the publishers) comparing this to Rebecca, a book that ..."

Pfft you're fine, join on in.

I have heard about the comparison between Rebecca; however, I have not read that yet. But you've got a point... I should do the same. (space them apart) :)

message 13: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Oh definitely. Maybe in a couple months, if you end up really liking this, you could try Rebecca. It is a favorite of mine. :)

Bonnie Awesome. I'll definitely do that. Thanks!

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Carrigan Great review and I enjoyed the small pieces of dialog from the book. I shall definately take a peek at this one! :-F

Katie Kinsey I am almost finished and wish I would read faster! I would love to see the property. It sound fabulous.

Bonnie Doesn't it? I loved the lush descriptions of it as well. Hope you enjoy it! :)

Katie Kinsey Yes I does. I am enjoying it. I don't care for Pierre, why so mean?

Bonnie haha Yeah I didn't quite understand his behavior either. It is explained though.

message 20: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy just starting this book within the next few days. I'm excited.

Bonnie Chasidy wrote: "just starting this book within the next few days. I'm excited."

I hope you enjoy it! :)