Emily's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Jun 24, 2011

Read in April, 2007

"My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me."

A supremely arrogant yet very intriguing line from the blurb. It sounded interesting so I bought the book. I'm very glad that I did.

The language used is deliciously wordy and descriptive. While this might be a slog for some, I found it a refreshing change from the same old words used over and over again in so many novels. More than that, it allowed me to paint a much more detailed picture in my head of Kvothe's "world" but at the same time still giving me the freedom to think it all up myself rather than strictly describing it like some do.

Kvothe is an interesting character and it's great to see a character narrating his (many) faults along the way as well as his triumphs. Kvothe and the supporting characters are solid and you get swept into the world to the point that you are overjoyed when they have successes, you're sad when they fail and you get angry when they are wronged. I love stories that pull you in like that.

Most definitely a recommended read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Emily Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“Perhaps the greatest faculty our minds possess is the ability to cope with pain. Classic thinking teaches us of the four doors of the mind, which everyone moves through according to their need.

First is the door of sleep. Sleep offers us a retreat from the world and all its pain. Sleep marks passing time, giving us distance from the things that have hurt us. When a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious. Similarly, someone who hears traumatic news will often swoon or faint. This is the mind's way of protecting itself from pain by stepping through the first door.

Second is the door of forgetting. Some wounds are too deep to heal, or too deep to heal quickly. In addition, many memories are simply painful, and there is no healing to be done. The saying 'time heals all wounds' is false. Time heals most wounds. The rest are hidden behind this door.

Third is the door of madness. There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.

Last is the door of death. The final resort. Nothing can hurt us after we are dead, or so we have been told.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.”