Alena's Reviews > Wingshooters

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: fiction, queer
Read from June 23 to 29, 2011

Wonderful novel.

Second book I've read by her, and while I liked Southland, I can hardly remember what it was about. This one will stay with me.

I should probably stop saying that I'm usually not a fan of first person narratives since once more I found myself drawn into the story by one.

We follow 9 year old Michelle for a year as she lives in small-town Wisconsin in the 70s. When a black couple moves to town, it's shaken up and shows its face and it's not pretty. Michelle, mixed-race herself, tells this story through the eyes of child and yet with a maturity that doesn't seem out of place.

The prose is beautiful in its simplicity and the novel slowly but never boringly approaches the end. I felt most of the way through that something had to give and still I wasn't prepared.

I also enjoyed the epilogue, since it was more than a meaningless 'and this is what happened then', but rather it gave the story other layers of meaning through grown-up Michelle's eyes.

The tag lesbian/queer may seem to be a reach, but Michelle is a baby dyke in the making.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wingshooters.