Amy's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, historical, favorites
Read from June 23 to July 18, 2011

Absolutely fantastic. Another life-changing novel; how lucky for me to read two in a row! This novel is much more "literary," by which I mean that Clarke has written the most amazing study of English magic, if English magic existed. Don't be afraid of the footnotes--as far as I'm concerned, they were the best part of the journey. The characters are Dickensian, hilarious and tragic like all good British characters; although the prose style fits the setting, it never feels old-fashioned. If you're one of those collectors of folklore and legend, then this is definitely the novel for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ruby I really liked this book. Sadly most of the people to whom I've recommended it complain that the Mr. Norrell sections are too slow.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Hmm... I agree they can be slow, but I also think they are entirely necessary.

ruby Certainly if you intend to demonstrate the breadth of British-ness, Mr. Norrel and his associated plots are of great importance. While the Dr. Strange sections were faster paced, I agree the work would have been poorer without both.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Exactly. And the contrast between the two is so hugely important that I can't imagine having to go without either one.