Lauren Murphy's Reviews > One for the Money

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: crime-mystery
Read in December, 2011

This review was first posted @ The Australian Bookshelf

I don’t know why it took me so long to get started on this humour/ crime series; I absolutely loved One for the Money! In the first of the Plum series we are introduced to Stephanie Plum-no job, no money, no car. So to make money to pay the bills she takes on a job as a bounty hunter. Her first job is to bring in Joe Morellie, a local cop who has jumped bail, a cop who was also her first lover when she was a naïve teenager. Now aged 30, Joe still makes Stephanie Plum weak at the knees- not that she would let him know that.

Stephanie is a great character; she is up for anything and often in the right place at the wrong time or the wrong place at the right time- which tends to come in handy when she is trying to catch the bad guys. As a newbie to the bounty hunter business, Stephanie has to learn the ropes and sometimes she learns the hard way.

The chemistry between Joe and Steph was very believable and their love/ hate relationship made for many laughs throughout the story. The only thing that bugged me about this ‘relationship’ was the disturbing scene that the author introduces early in the story about Steph when she was six and Joe was eight. It was a little weird and perhaps having a background working child protection, I had to just force myself to forget that scene so I could have a vested interest in their romance as adults. I’m not sure what other people thought about that but I wish it had been left out of the story. Joe certainly has his faults, but he does grow on me and I look forward to Stephanie’s future adventures with Joe Morelli.

Despite that, I really loved this book and have already moved onto the next in the series, Two for the Dough. Highly recommended for crime fiction fans who enjoy a good laugh and quirky characters.

4/5 rating
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One for the Money.