Wendy Darling's Reviews > So Over You

bookshelves: brain-candy, read-2011, realistic-fiction, young-adult
Recommended to Wendy Darling by: Jessica
Recommended for: YA romance fans
Read in June, 2011

3.5 stars Sometimes after a hard day, you just need to slip into your worn old flannel pyjamas and eat a bowl of ice cream. After reading a thoroughly vexing book late last night, I really needed a little comfort...and this one did not disappoint!

Layney and Jimmy are co-editors of their school newspaper who hate each other. They're doing a teen male calendar as a fundraiser, so for in-depth profiles (hah!) about the guys, Layney is "maneuvered" (hah!) by Jimmy into going on dates with all the boys. What she doesn't expect is that Jimmy takes it upon himself to supervise all their dates...and it's possible that the anger and dislike she feels for him might just be based on something deeper than she ever wanted to admit.

Let's get the usual nitpicky stuff out of the way. If you're going to pick up this book and be ticked off at the unrealistic way that this whole set-up comes together or mutter under your breath about the plot developments you could probably rattle off without ever cracking open a page, this is not the book for you. If you're inclined to pick up a light YA romance like this, however, I am pretty sure you're going to have a really good time.

From the occasional humor that flashed up unexpectedly in Gwen Hayes' Falling Under, I knew that she really wasn't an all-mopey, all-melodramatic kind of writer, and she didn't let me down here with Layney and Jimmy's super funny banter, which bounces from one zinger to the next with ease. Most of the boys are also really cute and appealing, and it's fun to see the different sides of Layney--and Jimmy--that come out with each one. The way their history unfolds is pretty unexpected, too, and while at first I was taken aback by the explanation behind Layney's defensiveness, I think it ultimately worked here, especially since her realizations about herself are written in such a believable way.

Even though I do wish some of this story had been fleshed out a little more (12 dates is a lot of different dates to go on) and the new BFF seemed to come out of nowhere and it's weird that Layney doesn't really have any other friends, I really enjoyed this fun and fluffy romance. It's a quick and adorable read when you're looking for a little light entertainment, and there are some really, really sweet (and occasionally hot) scenes between Layney and Jimmy that will make you go "Awwww" in spite of yourself. I especially loved(view spoiler) I dare you not to melt!

Right now the book is only $1.99 for Kindle, so if you're interested, download it now before the promotion is over! I highly recommend it to fans of Babe in Boyland or Sixteenth Summer, or to anyone who is looking for a sweet and funny, feel-good YA romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Over You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Holy Terror I was wondering what the rest of her books were like, thanks for the review!

message 2: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jun 25, 2011 03:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wendy Darling My pleasure! I will definitely be looking into more of her titles. I liked this one much better than Falling Under.

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic I like to go awwwww so I will be giving this a read even though I didn't like Falling Under. Great review Wendy :)

Sandy Love your review, Wendy! I was not a fan of Falling Under, but I bought this one last month on Amazon based on a few reviews. I'm happy to hear it's better than Falling Under.

These I-hate-you-but-I'm-secretly-crazy-for-you stories always make me go awwwww.

Wendy Darling Thanks ladies! I was irritated through most of Falling Under too (until the end), but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. :) I agree Sandy, there's something about these "hate-you-but-I'm-secretly-crazy-for-you" stories that are really appealing.

message 6: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily This sounds like a cute, easy read! Going to download now :)

Wendy Darling Aw, hope you enjoy Emily! It's pretty cute. :)

message 8: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph I've been on a bit of a contemporary kick lately so this obviously fits the bill perfectly. I'm definitely checking it out -- thanks for letting us know about the Kindle deal! :)

Amber Great review! I thought this was a cute read as well. Glad you read it. Did you giggle at the karaoke scene??? That was prob my favorites.

Wendy Darling You're welcome, Stephanie. :) I love a good Kindle deal.

There were some really cute date scenes Amber, but I think my favorite was probably the one at the roller rink. For obvious reasons. ;)

Amber Oh yeah, forgot about that one lol

message 12: by Sandy (last edited Jun 26, 2011 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandy Yes! I loved that scene! It made feel like I was in sixth grade again. Aaaaah, the couples skate.

I started this last night, and it's SO MUCH BETTER than Falling Under. I couldn't stand Theia in Falling Under, but Hayes' characters are so flawed and likeable in So Over You.

Hayes is really funny, too. She had a few lines in Falling Under like when she'd make fun of Twilight or something, but she's laugh-out-loud funny in this one. I think she should leave the angsty paranormal books behind and write more like this one.

Wendy Darling I totally agree, Sandy! I was so annoyed with Theia in Falling Under, but I really liked her friends and their snarky humor. I actually only kept going because occasionally there would be this really funny one-liner or self-deprecating observation about the ridiculousness of what was going on. It's so nice to see her go with that in this book instead of that really boring "I love you even though it might kill me" vibe.

I also liked the relationship and the boy so much better in this one. I mean, I know the other guy was a stand-in for Hades. But still! If you want us to love him like Theia does, he can't be a total jerk.

message 14: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly your review makes me go awwwwww! love your bookshelf: brain candy! :)

Kaitlyn I jut finished reading it and I completley agree with everything especially the funny banter and Foster's story comments. It is absolutely AWWWWWW, soooo cute and I loved it.

Wendy Darling I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kaitlyn! I love reading books like this every once in awhile. :)

Sumaya hi wendy.. um so are you saying this is a good light hearted read?... i need somethinig light right now and just wanted to know.. thanks! :) btw by light i mean not too much suspense and drama xD

Wendy Darling Oh, this one is cute, sumayaaaa! Don't expect anything earth-shattering, but it's fun if you're in the mood for something mindless and sweet. Babe in Boyland is good for that, too. :)

Sumaya Wendy Darling wrote: "Oh, this one is cute, sumayaaaa! Don't expect anything earth-shattering, but it's fun if you're in the mood for something mindless and sweet. Babe in Boyland is good for that, too. :)"

ok.. thanks!
btw my name isn't spelt with that many 'aaa' i just put it on lol.. ahahahaha you don't have to spell it correctly :)