Nomes's Reviews > Revolution

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: graveyard-of-abandoned-books, historical, out-of-the-loop
Read from July 16 to 31, 2011

Made it to page 200. And... that's it.

The story is *just* starting to get fascinating, but unfortunately I cannot see myself enjoying this enough to keep wading through it.

The beginning was incredibly slow, and far too suicidal-emo (without stirring any compassion in me) for me to connect to our depressive narrator.

I also found it text book style info-dumpy in parts (regarding music and the French history). This did not help me feel transported into the story.

The French revolution-y part of the story was only introduced around page 120 (or there-abouts ~ going off memory here), and it is barely under way at 200 pages in. I think there could be a story in here that would amaze/move me, but surrounded by a cast of characters I cannot connect to I am finding it hard to care.

Back in the old days I would probably finish this and find it 3 star satisfactory (assuming the good bits are just around the corner). But now I am more confident in my reading tastes and prefer to spend my time reading something that beings intrinsic enjoyment to me the whole way along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.

07/16/2011 page 64
13.0% "i am wondering when the actual story is going to start :/" 6 comments
07/17/2011 page 134
27.0% 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new)

Nic I have heard awesome things about this. I have it too.

message 2: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes i got it from nic (uncommon nonsense) i told her it scares me b/c i am not into historical blah blah but she said it is awesome and is FORCING it on to me ;)

i might try and read it soon ~ if not i am scared it will wallow around in my TBR forever ;)

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic LOL :)

Skye It's mostly non-historical, though. And it's so emotional (I'd compare it to Courtney Summers' books) and written prettily.
This book does not deserve to sit unread on a shelf for it's whole life! I swear you both'll love it!

nonsensebooks I TOLD YOU IT WASN'T REALLY HISTORICAL!!! :) read it when you're n the mood for it. sometimes if i force myself to read something i don't want to read i just hate it because i'm a grump :). not that you're a grump!... naw dang! you know what i mean.

message 6: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes NIcole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i knew if i talked about you behind your back you would mysteriously appear (!)

HELLO :) and THANK YOU for the books ~ which i am very very excited about :D

(even this FAKE historical one ;)

i think i am in the mood for this one :)

and i know the whole force thing. i have done that and FAILED at enjoying the book. argh

Love Nomes

nonsensebooks lol! actually i happened to log on to rate 'all i ever wanted' :). THANKS for your package. i'm thinking this weekend would be a splendid time for some reading. don't you agree? :)

message 8: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes oh yes. my sister is coming up but i plan on getting some chapters in ~ i am even in between books so i can start something NEW (!) but am in a bit of a funk so have to figure out my right mood :/

what will you be reading?

message 9: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber I have this one on my list to read. I just need to do it. I've heard it's really good.

message 10: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes i need to do it too. i think i will this week. i need something different to what i normally read .

i've heard it's really good too

Morgan F READ THIS

message 12: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes OKAY o.O, oH LLAMA MY LLAMA

Morgan F ;)

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily At first I was really keen to read this book but then I got nervous about not liking it so I haven't tried ... i'll wait for your review and then decide! :)

Janina Nomes, I really liked this one (with a few reserves) - and I've never really been a fan of historic fiction. Yet, the historic aspect here was really great. Very interesting and felt so real.
Anyway, hope you like it ;). And hey, I'm reading What Alice Forgot right now, and it's great, so thanks for the recommendation :).

message 16: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes @ emily: i am a bit nervous. if it's not an (absolute) fave you can have my copy when i'm done :) (i don't tend to keep my books once i've read them ... only my most beloved ones)

@ Janina: i am going to read it this week. i hope i like it too ~ i don't know why i am not hugely into historical either? but i am starting to feel optimistic about this :0

and YAY for liking what alice forgot :)

Daisy Chain Books Oh, this one is awesome, Nomes. I hope you enjoy it! Its a real clever book. Look for the hidden messages!

message 18: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes thanks Leanna. I am reading it now ~ it's going a little slowly ... but I am hanging in there. I really love the concept.

message 19: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review Nomes. I don't think this one will be me for me either. I am not a fan of slow starts and text book style of information.

message 20: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Thanks Nic. If I didn't have a TBR pile nearby I would maybe keep going, but it's not doing anything for me. I am getting better at moving along and not feeling like I have to finish a book just b/c I have already spent hours on it :)

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily Great review Nomes. Life is too short for books that just aren't doing it for you! :)

message 22: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes I know, right? I put it aside a while ago and can now admit I am never really going to go back to it :) Feels good to officially move on :)

Do you want my copy? Happy to send it to you. Most people have loved this (it's just not my particular thing)

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily That'd be great! I'm happy to do a swap or cover the postage :) I'll PM you, anyway.

message 24: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jul 31, 2011 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oliviasbooks I am curious whether I will like it or not. I tried one of the adult-targeted books of the author and was disappointed.

message 25: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes I think the story concept is probably really good and quite authentically researched. I think I am just not in the mood to persevere with it :/ (it is not my fave genre anyway, to be honest)

I would try it if you get a chance but maybe not pay full price (most my GR buds loved/liked it)

Indiaskye I liked parts of it, but it really was kinda slow and the ending is completely ridiculous! Definitely Ms. Donnelly's weakest effort so far - her other books are much better!

message 27: by Tatiana (last edited Jul 31, 2011 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tatiana This book is one of the most emo I have ever read. You didn't miss out on much by abandoning it halfway IMO.

message 28: by Nomes (last edited Jul 31, 2011 06:21AM) (new) - added it

Nomes Oh, thanks for letting me know indiaskye. i was guessing that if i made it to the end i would give it 3 stars too (but i couldnt keep on going for just a 3 star read ...)

i like her other book ' a gathering light' the charaters were so much more real and believable.

@ Tatiana: I am a fan of abandoning books lately. Especially when I realised how many books I have been rating 2 and 3 stars this year. I could have abandoned a lot of them and not missed out on anything. No wonder I get into reading funks. I'm going to try and stick with books I am enjoying every moment of, not just hanging in to wait until it gets good or the trudging through the beginning pays off in the long run kind of book. Argh.

Tatiana Yeah, I am less tolerant too these days. Even reading a 3-star book seems like a waste of time.

message 30: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes I know (!)

I had a look through the books I read this year and only half are ones I really enjoyed/would recommend.

Makes me wonder why I spend half my reading time reading things that are either forgettable or annoying. I fear I am becoming a cynical reader ;)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

But doesn't part of you want to keep reading them (2/3 * books) just so you can review them and be able to discuss them? I think thats what keeps me reading them if nothing else.

oliviasbooks I rate a book 3 stars only when I at least enjoyed sharing my time with that story. And I do not mind the 1 and 2 star books because I have no qualms at stopping to read at the first signs of annoyance or bordom at all anymore.

Suzanne I'm all for stopping books when the payoff just isn't coming, but Revolution's historical fiction element and plot accelerates as the book progresses. I can completely see where one would find the start slow, and it probably needed some good editing there; but ultimately, I thought it was the kind of historical fiction that is most likely to appeal to teens these days. Most with whom I work run screaming from historical fiction, but I hope I can persuade some to try this one.

Morgan F I'm a teenager, and I really enjoyed this one. Except for the whacky ending.