Mark's Reviews > Heir to the Empire

Jun 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, star-wars, i-was-young-and-dumb-okay
Read in November, 1993 , read count: 2

I was in fifth grade when my best friend at the time came to school with this book one day. "There are Star Wars books!" he breathlessly proclaimed. One can probably argue my life was irrevocably altered that day: once you start down the nerd path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Although, truth be told, I was already sure to be a nerd at that point. This just became a whole new avenue of expressing it. This kind of rocked our world. Star Wars was more than just movies? And these were in the days way before the prequels were even a dream, and even the special edition movies were not yet known. There was no internet. This was your fix.

I doubt I've looked at this book again since I was 13, so the rating even being this high is pure nostalgia. The Zahn Trilogy were always the standard by which all future efforts were judged. Objectively, is this book better than those I've rated one or two stars? Probably not a lot of them, but I don't care. This was my childhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir to the Empire.

Elizabeth I read it in middle school and loved it (along with the following two). I had the same thought, though, as an adult -- was it actually that good? I re-read them when I was in grad school, probably about 6 or 7 years ago. IIRC, they held up pretty well. I was actually thinking about giving them another go once I get my Kindle (as I no longer have my paperback copies). :) You should re-read them, too!