Jennifer's Reviews > Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: read-middle-grade-fiction
Read from June 23 to 25, 2011

It's always tough to read the next work by an author whose previous work you considered an amazing masterpiece.

That is where I am with Wonderstruck. It is amazing. It combines two stories with artwork and prose. It combines a motley assortment of knowledge - deafness, the beginning of museums, lightning strikes, family secrets, stars, meteors, and even David Bowie. It's wild and fabulous, and I should be giving it five stars on any objective scale.

However, I couldn't help comparing it to "Hugo Cabret," Selznick's previous work that just blew my socks off - and this one isn't as good . . . but then what is?

I think my greatest struggle with this book is the amount of telling that goes on at the end, rather than the showing that you get throughout the first three-quarters of the novel. It had to be wrapped up, and, yes, having someone just explain all the connections does that - but it makes you miss those moments of actual discovery from earlier in the book.

Soooo - it's a five-star book, that I can only give 4 (4 1/2 if goodreads allowed) due to my own subjectiveness.

Still - pick it up. It's awesome!
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderstruck.