Celeste's Reviews > Still Life With Brass Pole

Still Life With Brass Pole by Craig Machen

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 16 to 30, 2012

I honestly don't remember why I bought this book for my Kindle, probably because it's a memoir, and I tend to read those as much as I can.

I really liked this book in the beginning. It was quirky and shocking, almost in the way that Running With Scissors is but without all the gratuitous curse words. The writing was pretty good. There were some phrases that were witty and funny, but then there were a few that seemed like the author was trying too hard. Those phrases read insincere. And without getting too narcisistic, the author/narrator was able to connect, and that's something a lot of memoirists have trouble doing.

Unfortunately, about halfway through it, I got a little bored. Screwed up childhood leads to screwed up young adulthood, ok, so what's next? This is probably the first time (and likely the last) for me to say that I felt bogged down by all the strippers and steroids. But the end showed growth and humanity, and it might have been a little too turned around and shiny and happy, but I liked it anyway.

I was pretty entertained, so I'd probably read from this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life With Brass Pole.