Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Arise

Arise by Tara Hudson

I'm so excited, I'm quoted on the back of the ARC!

This is another fabulous, must read sequel. I loved what Tara did in HEREAFTER, and really enjoyed the direction the story went in ARISE. The stakes are higher in this book, and I felt like Amelia's story took on a more serious tone. It's more emotional, a little darker and has this amazing historical setting in New Orleans, which was the perfect stage for some of the things that happen in this book. I've not been to New Orleans, but I felt like I got to see it first hand through Tara's vivid descriptions of this vibrant city. I loved how New Orleans's rich history played a huge part in Amelia's story and her quest for answers.

Amelia's journey is full of heartbreak and some startling twists. I didn't except to feel so torn and emotionally invested the way I did with this sequel. Tara did a fabulous job in allowing me to understand the motives behind Amelia's decisions. She's battling the ever dark forces that are trying to claim her, her stained relationship is taking a toll on her, and no matter how hard she tries to fight between her ghost life and the human life she yearns for, things never work out the way she hopes. After all, she's fighting against a force that makes it nearly impossible for Joshua and her to be together, she's a ghost and he's human. That's also what makes Amelia such an interesting character. No matter how hard it is, Amelia does everything she can to make it work, and she'll do whatever she can to protect those she loves. I love that strength about her.

Not to out do Amelia, Joshua is just a fabulous as he was in HEREAFTER. I admire his devotion and love for Amelia regardless of the things that go against their being together. The romance is great! Tara rewards fans with some great swoon worthy moments between these two. This story's excitement picks up with the introduction of a few new characters to this series, as well as leads into the more sinister plot line that is uncovered. One of my favorite new characters is Gaby. She becomes that friend and voice of reason that Amelia needs, as she struggles with the two lives she's trying to live. Gaby is one of those all around fabulous friends we all want to have. She's there to offer support, guidance and just be there for Amelia. I love how her back story ties into this story!

The setting is awesome! It's mysterious, alluring, dark and enchanting. I loved the diverse, rich, intriguing world that Tara created in New Orleans for this story. This city was the perfect place for Amelia's journey and the things she uncovers here. The way the history of New Orleans and the "older" residents there were a perfect fit for ARISE. Aside from the story itself, check out this cover! I seriously love it! It's such a perfect fit for this story. If you're looking for a haunting, sizzling summer read I highly recommend picking this one up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arise.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle That's so cool!

Hayden Casey I SEE YOUR NAME! :D

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Michelle- Thank you!

Hayden- Aw! :)

Riya OMG That's amazing! Lucky duck! I loved Hereafter. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get quoted? Did you send a quote to the publisher? :P

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Riya wrote: "OMG That's amazing! Lucky duck! I loved Hereafter. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get quoted? Did you send a quote to the publisher? :P"

Thank you Riya! I loved Hereafter too! Just wait till you read ARISE.

My quote on the back of the ARC is from my review from Hereafter, which yes, I did send into the publisher. I had no idea that I was being quoted though. It was a nice surprise.

Riya That's so awesome! Thanks for answering my question! :) I can't wait to read Arise! <3

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Thank you and you're welcome! :)