Mrs Bond's Reviews > Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story

Meadowlands by Thomas F. Yezerski

Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: newjersey, informative, picturebook, nature, animals, 2011
Read in June, 2011

I'm a lifelong resident of New Jersey who avoids that part of the state as if my life depended on it. Growing up not far from the hustle and bustle of the Meadowlands, I longed for the day when I would move to an area that is less congested and more abundant in nature. It is very difficult to imagine the place as a beautiful, nature filled wetland.

Fact filled overview of the history, development and natural habitat that is the Meadowlands. The author discusses the human development, but also spends a great deal of time highlighting the animals and natural progress as well. Discusses conservation in a factual way, emphasizing the visible benefits of changed behaviors and practices.

Large illustrations on each page show the many views of the area. Small captioned images frame the page adding depth to the page's content. These are wonderful for a one-on-one storytime where the readers can dawdle on each page, discussing what they mean. They could also help make this book a useful starting point for New Jersey research projects. For expample: a page shows an illustration of a "chocolate drink" that looks very much like Yoo Hoo, which turns out was a NJ based business. Seemingly random pictures hint at a greater story.

Appendix includes author's note, selected bibliography (print and web).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meadowlands.