Sarah (saz101)'s Reviews > Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

Jun 28, 2011

bookshelves: romance, 1800s, historicals, 2011-releases
Read from June 23 to 29, 2011

Just Like Heaven is a delight. It's actually one of the first romances I've read where there has been actual story and real effort gone into creating a plausible basis for the feelings our protaganists have for one another. Indeed, many romances I've read work as romances, but not so much as a work of fiction I'd typically enjoy outside of genre. I'm often left wanting for more fleshed out characters, motivations for actions, and for our heroine to act like a normal human being with the ability to reason. Not that this does, or ever will, stop me from reading, mind. I love romances, but they're typically trope heavy, and can tend to rely too heavily on stereotypes than good characterisation. Don't get me wrong, Just Like Heaven is a very light read, but it's fun and sweet, and there's a genuine friendship between the romantic leads I enjoyed immensely.

Yes, it's light and fluffy, and a very easy read. But it's a plausible and believable light and fluffy very-easy-read, that still keeps that element of fantasy and whimsy that keeps me reading.

The journery to Honoria and Marcus discovering their feelings for each other is so sweet. There's back story there, but we see the feelings between the two develop from affection and friendship into something much deeper.

I read this book with such a big smile that my face now hurts, and there is one particular scene with a 7 foot rabbit hopping through someone's bedroom in a laudanum induced hallucination (the person, not the bunny, being under the influence) that had me in stitches.

Honoria and Marcus' shared history, friendship, and love of desserts (treacle tart!) make the couple a perfect match, and an absolute joy to follow. Such a sweet, fun romance. The wit and humour make the book such a good read. Read it read it read it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like Heaven.

06/23/2011 page 29