Matt's Reviews > Snow Crash

3702050
Sep 12, 13

bookshelves: cyberpunk, science-fiction
Read from May 08 to 14, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Frida Fantastic (book blogger) Oh man, I can't wait to see read your opinion on the book. It's so polarizing. I'm gonna read Cryptonomicon sometime soon.

Matt Frida Fantastic wrote: "Oh man, I can't wait to see read your opinion on the book. It's so polarizing. I'm gonna read Cryptonomicon sometime soon."

I don't expect to like it. I don't like writers that beat around the bush and add too much extraneous bullshit that doesn't actually matter in the plot-- I like writers to be more concise, a la Philip K. Dick who I don't think ever went over 400 pages in all of his 40+ novels.

Frida Fantastic (book blogger) Haha then why are you reading it? I'm okay with plot-less books as long as they're engaging in some way. I think of it like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and stuff.

Matt Well I thought Hitchhiker's guide was kind of crap.

But yeah, I'm reading it because it is a cyberpunk classic and I feel like I should at least once to see if the fuss is warranted.

Frida Fantastic (book blogger) Haha, I'm a pretty big fan of Hitchhiker's Guide. I have a high tolerance for zany stuff, but Snow Crash was "good, but needs less infodumps" for me. It is one of those classics that's hard to ignore though. Speaking of classics, I have something to admit. I haven't finished a single William Gibson book. Yes, I live in Vancouver D:

Frida Fantastic (book blogger) 80% of what I liked about Snow Crash is the humour, so if the lulz ain't up your alley... heh :P

Matt I'm not anti-humor, I'm anti fucking stupid humor. "Hitchhiker's Guide" is a style of humor that doesn't hit me at all. I think Kurt Vonnegut is laugh out loud hilarious.

Frida Fantastic (book blogger) I don't know man. Hitchhiker Guide and Snow Crash's humour are pretty much up the same alley, IMHO. Actually, Snow Crash gets more ridiculous at times.

Frida Fantastic (book blogger) At least the folks at Hitchhiker's don't change race mid-sentence. Stephenson can't seem to make up his mind with Hiro Protagonist. I don't know if it's intended humour or it's just oversight. The entire book's like that XD