Sherri's Reviews > Finder

Finder by Emma Bull

Jul 16, 11

Read from June 23 to July 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This has taken me a long time not because it is a hard book to read or dull. I like Emma Bull's style, she has lovely descriptions, a good eye for detail and her characters are a lot of fun. I'm not well-versed on elves, except for the Tolkien and Keebler versions so a lot of the information was new to me and I had no quibble with accuracy regarding lore.

Orient, the protagonist is a finder, he finds things that others have lost. When the story opens he's helping his friend and partner Tick-Tick find her missing wrench. She's an elf, he's human, ordinary residents of Bordertown, an area between the World (where we live) and the Elflands.

Orient gets involved in helping Bordertown cop Sunny Rico find a killer. Along the way he gets drugged, beat up by elf wannabees, makes many cups of tea and loses a lot of sleep. He also endures doubt, uncertainty and painful losses. The mystery is pretty good too and not all that easy to figure out. There is a lot of humor as well, there has to be in a story with elves, a wolfboy and a cop who drives a Triumph Spitfire.

Emma Bull does something not many authors have the guts (or gall) to do. She kills off one of the central characters. My favorite character too. Even though I saw this coming I was still dreading the inevitable and I mourned for her too, like the characters in the book. Although I might recommend this book, my words won't carry the same weight as these.
Between Finder's crystal glitter of fairy dust and its hardboiled copshow edge there are some very real people, with stories that mean something and lives that matter. Emma Bull is really good."-Neil Gaiman

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finder.

06/23/2011 page 86