Gina's Reviews > The Truth-Teller's Lie

The Truth-Teller's Lie by Sophie Hannah

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: library, british-fiction, mystery-detective, psychological-thriller, rape, suspense, 400-pages
Read from October 13 to 15, 2011

This novel was first published under the title Hurting Distance.

Book Description-Naomi Jenkins knows all about secrets: three years ago something so terrible happened to her that she's never told anyone about it. Now, Naomi has another secret: her relationship with the unhappily married Robert Haworth. When Robert vanishes without explanation, Naomi knows he must have come to harm. But the police are less convinced, particularly when Robert's wife insists he is not missing. In desperation, Naomi decides that if she can't persuade the detectives that Robert is in danger, she'll convince them that he is a danger to others. Naomi knows how to describe the actions of a psychopath; all she needs to do is dig up her own traumatic past.

At first I thought Naomi was just crazy right along with Robert's wife Juliet. I couldn't believe the lengths she was going to for the police to find Robert. Her friend Yvon was the like the voice in my head telling Naomi that what she was doing was nuts. I really thought the story was going to go in a much different direction that it did because of my feelings for Naomi. I don't want to tell anymore of the plotline as it is so important for the reader to watch the mystery unravel themselves. Although a horrific topic, Hannah is at her best with this thrill ride of a novel. There are so many twists and turns my head was spinning. I can't count how many times I had to page back and look at what someone said to understand or to believe the story she was telling. For those looking for a psychological suspense at its finest I highly recommend this author! I discovered Sohphie Hannah by random and I am so glad that I did! She is a remarkable storyteller and a master of her craft! 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth-Teller's Lie.

10/13/2011 page 104
28.0% "Hannah's tone is frenzied and full of anxiety. As I read the 1st few chapters, I could feel Naomi's panic & anxiety grow. When the police don't react to her report, I could feel her falling into this awful hole of despair and crazyness. What she had done is insane! Her friend Yvon expresses exactly what I feel...WTH have you done!! How can you do this?Naomi herself is slipping into psycopathy."
show 3 hidden updates…