Jaspreet's Reviews > Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone

Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant  by Jenni Ferrari-Adler

271946
Apr 07, 08

Read in April, 2008

This morning I did not make it to my exercise class; however, I did manage to finish the last essay in the book Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant. I could really relate to the "Food Nomad" essay; there are definitely *strange* foods that make me feel at home. I have certainly had my fair share of odd looks when I come back with a bag filled with treasures. Although, I will admit that I do also crave the "traditional, crappy, processed" junk food. I feel fortunate that (aside from being a vegetarian) I am not a particularly picky eater. The concept of cooking and eating well as part of self-care was a theme that emerged from the essays. I am also excited to try the recipes and cooking techniques that were described. The way that food can draw you into a comforting place was another idea that resonated with me.

Recommend to a friend? YES!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant .

Quotes Jaspreet Liked

Jenni Ferrari-Adler
“Taking solitude in stride was a sign of strength and of a willingness to take care of myself. This meant - among other things - working productively, remembering to leave the house, and eating well. I thought about food all the time. I had a subscription to Gourmet and Food & Wine. Cooking for others had often been my way of offering care. So why, when I was alone, did I find myself trying to subsist on cereal and water? I'd need to learn to cook for one.”
Jenni Ferrari-Adler, Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone

Jenni Ferrari-Adler
“There was real plasure to be had eating ice cream out of container and pickles out of a glass jar, standing up at the counter. I wondered whether the cravings associated with pregnancy were really only a matter of women feeling empowered to admit their odd longings to their husbands, to ask another person to bring them the eccentric combinations they'd long enjoyed in private.”
tags: food

Jenni Ferrari-Adler
“The fact is, I love to feed other people. I love their pleasure, their comfort, their delight in being cared for. Cooking gives me the means to make other people feel better, which in a very simple equation makes me feel better. I believe that food can be a profound means of communication, allowing me to express myself in a way that seems much deeper and more sincere than words. My Gruyere cheese puffs straight from the oven say 'I'm glad you're here. Sit down, relax. I'll look after everything.'
- Ann Patchett, "Dinner For One, Please, James”