Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)'s Reviews > Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life

Dork Diaries by Rachel Renée Russell

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: reviewed, favorites
Read from June 23 to 24, 2011

Tales from a Not So Fabulous Life is the first book in the Dork Diaries series by Rachel Renée Russell.

Nikki J. Maxwell is an eighth grader that recently changed schools and is now going Westchester Country Day, a private school, because her dad has an extermination contract with the school. She wants to become a part of the CCP girls, Cute, Cool and Popular girls, and she believes a new cell phone will help her do just that. She thought that her mom got her one but realizes is just a diary.

It’s not going to well at her school. She doesn’t have any friends, and her locker is next to Mackenzie, the most popular girl at school and a CCP girl. Nikki loves to draw and is going to sign up for the art competition. Just as she is getting ready to get a form, she sees Mackenzie getting one. Being intimidated by her, Nikki just ends up getting a form to be a library shelving assistant. Even though she wanted to do the art competition, she ends up making friends with two of the other library shelving assistants, Chloe and Zoey. Will Nikki ever be one of the CCP girls? Will Nikki get the courage to enter the art competition? Can she ever stop being shy around Brandon Roberts, her crush?

I really liked this book. I wish it had more of Nikki’s sister Brianna in it. I really thought it was funny when it talked about Brianna and the tooth fairy. I thought all the drawings were cute and wished there were more of them. I loved how Nikki interacted with Brandon and how she coped with going to a new school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dork Diaries.

06/23/2011 page 80