Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Blaze of Memory

Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh

I was so prepared to like this book, I have loved all the other books in the series and they have all gotten 5 stars, so when I was told that this wasn't as good as the others and I might not like it, I shrugged it off and dived in anyways. Sadly, they were right. Although it wasn't really bad it also wasn't as good as the other books.

This book is about Devraj Santos, the Director of Shine, the charity/coporation that hides all the Fogotten, the Psy that defected when Silence was first introduced, and Ekaterina, renamed as Katya, Ashaya's assistant who we assumed was dead when Ming LeBon blew up Ashaya's lab. I think the first problem with this book is that those two characters seemed relatively minor through this series, Katya was only ever mentioned in passing and Dev was only in it for a short time a few books back, so we haven't really gotten to know either character very well prior to this book. But that's fine, we have a whole book to get to know them right? But as I got to know them and as the book progressed I started to get bored and annoyed, it felt like a novella being stretched beyond its capacity to make it into a full length book, everything was dragged out and not much was actually happening.

But the main problem I had was I didn't like Dev or Katya that much. Dev reminded me of an 80's historical romance hero; he blew hot and cold, one moment he would be all tender with Katya, and then the next he would be cold and aggressive. Katya was a Stolkholm Syndrome heroine, I can't see how she could fall in love with him when through most the book he was a bit of a bastard and would't have hesitated to kill her.

But the book wasn't all bad, the reason it got 3 stars instead of 2 is because I liked the other stories going on. You learn some interesting things about the Arrows and the Forgotton. Also at the beginning of most the chapters there is a letter written by a Psy a few years before Silence was implemented showing you how the Psy at the time reacted and why it was implemented and a true sense of how twisted it has become.

Ofcourse I am going to carry on reading this series, I am just hoping the next book is better!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Memory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~J~ Riverina Romantics Suz can I skip the next few books and go straigh to Hawk without missing out on too much??
I want Hawks book NOW and I'm not too excited about the others so I was hoping I could skip - even though I've never done that before in a series.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hmmm, I would say no, just for the back story you need to read through these ones and Drews book is actually good! But the next two aren't all that good, especially this one I realllly didn't like Dev!

~J~ Riverina Romantics Thanks sweets

message 4: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. This review really helped me Suzanne. Well-done. And you answered the question I was about to ask you, which was the same as Jodie's...
TY ;)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks :) I wish you could skip it from what I remember I didn't like it very much, sadly you can't!

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars