Jennifer's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, 2012
Read from September 15, 2011 to August 07, 2012

So this book has me very conflicted. The imagery is gorgeous and while listening to Jim Dale I could immediately see that this would make a gorgeous movie (In fact I am now wondering who bought the rights and who is going to direct it) but the lack of characterization was very perturbing to me.

I think what the book suffered the most from was Morgenstern obviously loving her characters yet forgetting to show her audience what was so great about those characters. I was constantly wondering about the windows of intimacy into the characters and why I should care.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

09/15/2011 "And so begins the book that is on everybody's must read list. I hope this is better than Tea Obreht's The Tiger's Wife."
09/16/2011
52.0% "I want to pummel Prospero."
07/06/2012
1.0% "I want to pummel Prospero."
07/07/2012
9.0% "Okay listening to Jim Dale read anything makes it better, but I am definitely in much better receptive mood to this."
07/10/2012
27.0% "Okay the thing is I don't really feel much for the two protagonists in the story, on the other hand rather hate Prospero and Grey Guy." 2 comments
07/14/2012
36.0% "So the magic is cool. But why do the two main characters never ask "why?" So far I am liking the contortionist the most so far."
07/17/2012
45.0% "Hmm, things are taking a turn for the interesting, finally a little momentum."
07/30/2012
72.0% "Finally the plot is thickening and people are questioning, definitely feel bad for Isabel though."
08/03/2012
82.0% "Well things are actually moving at a faster pace."
08/04/2012
91.0% "And now I want to throttle Celia."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael Stockinger I'm almost done with this one. It's long, good, and interesting. I've noticed that I need a lot of breaks from it though - not necessarily a "page turner". I think I would have a hard time listening to it. I applaud your courage!

Jennifer I'm not sure I would applaud my courage, they got Jim Dale to do the reading, and that guy could probably make a C++ book sound riveting and fun. I noticed myself with the same reading problem when I first gave it a go last year of needing breaks (at that point I couldn't with the giant waiting list it had).