Andrew's Reviews > The Original Argument: The Federalists' Case for the Constitution, Adapted for the 21st Century

The Original Argument by Glenn Beck

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: history, glenn-beck
Read from June 23 to July 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Love Glenn Beck, or hate him, this is an interesting idea. Why not take the Federalist Papers, translate them into modern language and make them more accessible to modern Americans?

The book is actually laid out into 7 parts, all with a different topic and then the Papers that match that topic are included. The introduction of each part contextualizes the papers with modern events and every paper has a brief summary statement and then some modern application as well. Not every single one of the papers are there, just the most important ones.

It was an interesting experience for me, I have a BA in Political Science and a minor in history, but somehow the Federalist Papers were never required reading in my degree program (but I did get some selections from The Communist Manifesto). Imagine that! More proof that college has little interest in truly educating Americans about their history, a lot of it is driven by a political agenda. Someday I hope to read the real papers, but until that happens I'm glad to have read this book. This is the one pause that I have with this text, it is a translation, and that leaves one to wonder, did they (meaning Beck and the KU Grad Josh Charles that helped with this work) translate wrong. I can't say one way or another, but my experience with The Federalist Papers is more than it was before and that is a result of this text. And that is why this book matters. If it opens open more Americans to the works of the era of the founding of this nation, then we are all better for it, because American history is not being taught effectively in modern America.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Original Argument.

06/23/2011 page 10