Andrea's Reviews > Ironside

Ironside by Holly Black

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fairies, love, kidnapping, murder, super-natural, ya
Read from June 23 to 24, 2011

On the scale of Modern Faerie Tales, better than the other two. On the scale of every book I've ever read, still barely ok.

I expected this book to bring Kaye and Val together. I mean, it only makes sense. But I was disappointed to see that Val doesn't even make an appearance until the last few pages of the book.

I will add that off all the the MFT books, this one is the closest to resembling the Black that wrote the worker series. I still am astonished that something as fantastic as that series came out of someone that wrote something as horrid as this series, but I guess stranger things have happened. I just kept waiting for this series to get amazing and it never did. Book 1 and 2 were so disjointed and unbelievable and book 3 just cleaned everything up. Every bad guy disappeared and everyone lived happily ever after. But the thing I want to know is WHERE did Lolli go? I mean, we could have gotten a side comment from Luis about seeing her on the street or someone telling him that she was dead or something, but instead we got nothing.

IDK, I typically don't hate books, I can appreciate them and just not recommend them, but overall this series was a giant let down. It's too fake, too childish, too "hey I want this to sound like it's a REAL account of fae and scary and badass" but in reality it's just as tame as Twilight. Gag.

If you don't have anything better toread, sure, pick them up, but know that I warned you that you'll be disappointed and if you go into it with low expectations you're liable to not be as letdown as I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironside.