Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

6.5 stars!

I don’t know how to review a book that took my breath away. Shiver left me with a feeling of complete satisfaction, joy spiced with sadness - as weird and paradoxical as that sounds. I’m so grateful to have read this book after all…

There aren’t many books on my 'books that changed me' shelf. In fact, there were only seven until today. But Shiver deserved its place, and now there are eight. What’s so special about it? I’ll try to be polite and refrain from gushing, but it won’t be easy.

Boy saves girl, girl falls for a boy and they end up living happily ever after. Only the boy isn’t a boy at all, and the happily ever after is meant for some other people, in some other story.
I was suddenly struck by how dissimilar we were. It occurred to me that if Grace and I were objects, she would be an elaborate digital clock, synced up with the World Clock in London with technical perfection, and I’d be a snow globe – shaken memories in a glass ball.

Grace is an amazing character! I love how strong and decisive she is, always scared but never really showing her fear. She reminds me of a girl I used to be know. After the way she surrendered to the wolves at the beginning, I was afraid she would be another one of those characters. But only a few chapters later, a huge white she-wolf showed up at her window, and instead of cowering in some corner, Grace snarled back at it! Not many authors can make you feel such pride at the very beginning of a novel!

When can you say for sure that you’ve fallen in love with someone’s writing? If your mind isn’t registering words at all, but sounds and colors and emotions so strong that you can feel them twirling inside of you, beautiful, agonizing and powerful.... that’s it – you’re in love! I know this because it happened to me with Maggie Stiefvater. Obviously not everyone feels the same way, and that’s ok. There are times when I too appreciate a very different writing style, more economical and crisp. But sometimes I just want to marvel at other people’s talent, and Stiefvater gave me that chance.

I’m pretty sure Shiver will become my comfort book, familiar and soothing like the blanket I wrap myself in when I’m not feeling well. There are only a few books I keep going back to: The Master and Margarita when I need to restore my faith in love, Dolores Claiborne when I need courage, Harry Potter when I need optimism, lately I’ve added The Reapers Are the Angels for when I need strength, and now I have Shiver to remind me that there’s beauty everywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

06/30/2011
10.0% "Wendy, you're like the coolest kid in town. At this point, I'll read just about anything you tell me to." 10 comments
07/01/2011
15.0% "Grace completely won me over when she snarled back at the huge white wolf. Good for you, Grace!" 6 comments
07/01/2011
18.0% ""I was a leaking womb bulging with the promise of conscious thoughts: the frozen woods far behind me, the girl on the tire swing, the sound of fingers on metal strings. The future and the past, both the same, snow and then summer and then snow again." *sighs*" 23 comments
52.0% 4 comments
07/02/2011
60.0% ""My patchwork life: quiet Sunday, coffee on Grace’s breath, the unfamiliar landscape of the lumpy new scar on my arm, the dangerous smell of snow in the air. Two different worlds circling each other, getting closer and closer, knotting together in ways I’d never imagined.""

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead This will be interesting. I can't wait to see what you think.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, I'm only about 20% in, but I'm already loving it. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Well, I'm only about 20% in, but I'm already loving it. :)"

it looks like I'm the odd girl out on this one.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Nooo! Most of my friends didn't like this one at all. That's why it took me so long to read it. But now that I''ve started, I'm really loving it. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Nooo! Most of my friends didn't like this one at all. That's why it took me so long to read it. But now that I''ve started, I'm really loving it. :)"

I'm glad you are liking it.

Wendy Darling 6.5 stars!! There aren't words enough to express my joy. I can't wait to read your review.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I need to stop crying first. :)

Wendy Darling :) Sending you a big hug, not only for comfort, but for loving this book as much as I do.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm the one who should be sending YOU a big hug (and I am). I never would have read this without you.

Also, it should really be 7 stars, but I was affraid people would think I'm exaggerating. :-P

Lisa O. Aw, glad you liked it. I am curious now to see what you think about Linger.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'll read it soon, but not right away lest they should just melt together.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I am thrilled you loved this one!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

If you would, give me the heads-up when you have an idea when you'll be reading book two. I'll grab a copy. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I am too. It left me in a place I really like, emotionally.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Of course I will!!! I'm doing my happy dance, yodeling and everything. :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Maja, I know what you mean. The experience was amazing!

message 17: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Darling I unliked and liked this again on principle. I'm so happy that this made your "books that changed me shelf"--and it's not even a zombie book! I love SHIVER so much and it was a pleasure to experience it again through your eyes.

And this:
I have Shiver to remind me that there’s beauty everywhere.

I love that so much. And you, for having the wisdom and heart to say it.

message 18: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jul 02, 2011 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) And I love you for leading me straight to this book. It will also always remind me of you - of that I have no doubt.

(view spoiler)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I unliked and liked this again on principle. I'm so happy that this made your "books that changed me shelf"--and it's not even a zombie book! I love SHIVER so much and it was a pleasure to experien..."

I feel left out. :( I don't think I'm intelligent enough or something. I feel like I should read the book again to figure out what the hell I'm missing!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, no! Please don't say that, Michelle. I love that we're all different! What's important is that we respect each other's opinions and that we have some common ground, which we so obviously do.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Oh, no! Please don't say that, Michelle. I love that we're all different! What's important is that we respect each other's opinions and that we have some common ground, which we so obviously do."

I had a momentary bout of insecurity. I'm over it now. Plus I read Tatiana's review which did a good job of reminding me why I disliked this book.

Regardless, your review was great. It was so good, I questioned my sanity! LOL

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) See? There you go making me smile again!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "See? There you go making me smile again!"

LOL!

message 24: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 02, 2011 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Darling You know what I appreciate about you, Michelle? Even when you dislike a book, I completely understand why, even if I don't agree with you. And I never feel insulted by what you say. I really hate reviews that are mean-spirited or imply that anyone who enjoys a book is too dim to see the light. We all love different things for different reasons, and it's great to have a place where we can come and open our minds to someone else's point of view.

Besides, there are plenty of other books to bond over. ;) Maja, did you notice your spoiler tags didn't work? Now EVERYONE knows that you appreciate things other than zombie books!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Great. There goes my reputation down the drain. Stupid iPhone and stupid app and stupid overheated laptop. At least this time it didn't decide to remove the whole thing. It's like I have an invisible editor!

message 26: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora I'm seriously tearing up after reading this! Maja, words can't express how much I love this review! And I'm so glad that you liked Shiver this much.

Now, about Linger, some people don't like it as much, but, for me, I liked it only an infinitesimal degree less than Shiver. It has some really sweet moments with Sam and Grace, and I loved it too. So I hope you enjoy it, also. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: " I really hate reviews that are mean-spirited or imply that anyone who enjoys a book is too dim to see the light. We all love different things for different reasons, and it's great to have a place where we can come and open our minds to someone else's point of view..."

My computer keeps rebooting due to memory problems (I can relate) so I've responded to you twice! LOL I'm too lazy to go about 30 feet to the other computer!

Anyhow, I sometimes can get snarky in my reviews but I never, ever try to put others down for liking (I almost wrote licking, it's a good thing I reviewed my comment before I posted it) a book that I didn't because just like you said.. we all love different things.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you! You are very, very sweet.

I'm not worried about Linger at all! I just need to take a few days to relax - this has been emotionally draining, but after that, I'm reading it for sure. I'll even have one of my favorite friends here on GR read it with me so it will be twice as fun.
If the writing style is consistent, and I believe it is, I'm going to love that book too.

message 29: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora The writing is definitely consistent. I think you'll like it:)

message 30: by Lora (last edited Jul 02, 2011 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora I really hate reviews that are mean-spirited or imply that anyone who enjoys a book is too dim to see the light. We all love different things for different reasons, and it's great to have a place where we can come and open our minds to someone else's point of view.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Aww, this discussion is so nice. So is this review. I love goodreads for this reason. I really enjoyed Shiver, and Maggie Stiefvater's writing, but it did not bring a lot of emotion out of me. I don't remember crying. I think it's so interesting to hear what other people can get out of books.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Kate, more than a few books have made me cry lately, so I suspect I've lost my right to say this: I don't usually cry that often!

I'm so happy that you enjoyed Shiver. I guess all that's important is that we all got something out of it... and that we can discuss it here. You're right - Goodreads makes everything far more enjoyable!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Maja, See? that just makes it even more interesting, because I DO usually cry often in books.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I actually cried more at the very end (view spoiler)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Mmm, yeah I really loved the way this one ended

Flannery I didn't love this book but I love that you loved it and your review:)

message 37: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jul 02, 2011 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Jillian, thank you!
I really should wait a few days at least, but Linger keeps looking at me from my bookshelf with those puppy wolf eyes - I'm not at all sure I'll be able to resist.
As Wendy pointed out, I really chose the right time to read this, seeing as Forever is being released in only a few days! :)

Flann - and that's why we love you! (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling I read the beginning of The Marbury Lens last night against Flannery's explicit advice. I was so traumatized I had to get up in the middle of the night to read Shiver for comfort, and of course it made me cry, but in a good way. I've read this several times now and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

The part that makes me hurt the most is the scene in the bathroom, both from the terrifying memories that it brings up and the urgency of the need to make Sam be there. The (view spoiler) always make me whimper, too. :( But jeesh, the writing is gorgeous. It never gets old to me.

Lora wrote: "Wendy, this is just one of the many reasons why I love you so much. Your views on stuff like that are always the same as mine, and you always find the perfect words to express what you're (I'm) thinking. :) "

Aww, you're such a sweetheart for saying so, Lora! Big big love right back at you. :) Look what a lovefest this thread is!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So, Maja, English is not your native/1st language is it? Why am I asking? Because it absolutely fricking ridiculous that your reviews are that well written and you are not a native English speaker!

I can't even figure out if I wrote the above sentence correctly and you managed to write an entire review that is worded better than some of the books I've read.

Wendy Darling I know Michelle, it's disgusting. She speaks 5 languages, I think, and I'm still trying to master English.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I know Michelle, it's disgusting. She speaks 5 languages, I think, and I'm still trying to master English."

Same here Wendy. I'm just struggling with one.

message 42: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio 6.5 stars? I could understand 6, but why the extra half? That makes the rest of your review suspect. Anything over 6 just reads as a fangirl squee!

Huh, the reviews and ratings for this one are all over the place

(And I think that she speaks at least 8 languages but it's playing the humble card so we don't feel that bad.)

message 43: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jul 03, 2011 12:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Wendy Darling: Look what a lovefest this thread is!
It IS, and that's one of the reasons why I love this book. It inspires such positive emotions.
You guys are all very sweet, but Wendy, I only speak 5 languages if you count not one, but two dead languages that are completely useless to me. If you only count languages I can actually use, then there are considerably less.

Michelle, thank you, sweetie. I was just talking to 365andMe yesterday about this. (view spoiler) Both of you are always complaining about your grammar/typos, but you're actually pretty great.

Chichipio, the actual rating is 6 stars. The extra half is just for good measure, to make myself perfectly clear. It doesn't hurt, and besides, my fangirling is reserved for David Simon exclusively. Everyone knows that. :P

Yes. I also bake the most incredible bread in my sleep and grow wings whenever I need to save a kitten from a tree or take that same bread to the hungry children of Africa. And I still have plenty of time to read.
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Well? Don't leave me hanging now. Was it sarcasm? (view spoiler)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) No. My sleepwalking really is that productive, and I can fly. (view spoiler)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja.... If you are baking bread in your sleep, you must learn to also ship it my way in your sleep since I LOVE bread! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) No problem, Michelle. Apparently, I can do anything!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "No problem, Michelle. Apparently, I can do anything!"

You mean you can't?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hmmm, I haven't actually tried flying... but if you think I should, now might be the time to do it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Hmmm, I haven't actually tried flying... but if you think I should, now might be the time to do it."

hmmm... I think you might want to wait on that one. LOL

« previous 1