Bonnie's Reviews > My Life As a White Trash Zombie

My Life As a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland

Nov 14, 2015

bookshelves: zombies-like-brains, urban-fantasy, owned-ebook, adult, first-in-series, 2011
Read from July 11 to 12, 2011

Angel Crawford was your typical white trash chick with a pill popping addiction living with her alcoholic dad in Lousiana. That is, until she woke up in the hospital after being in a car accident with no memory of what had happened to her. She finds a note addressed to her telling her about a job that she is required to take or she’ll end up dead… thinking this is a note from her parole officer and that she’s being threatened with jail she opts to take the job instead. The job turns out to be a driver for the Coroner’s Office.

Angel starts noticing odd changes like how she’s somehow able to stand the sight of the dead bodies when before the accident she was squeamish from just the sight of blood. She also starts noticing that the bodies have a pleasant scent to them… ’The smell was like chocolate and cookies and biscuits and gravy and everything else that was delicious.’ That’s when she realizes that what was smelled so positively tasty were brains and only zombies ate brains. Bodies start turning up all over town with their heads missing and it begins to look suspiciously like a rogue zombie just trying to get his next meal. Angel thought she had figured out who the killer was when he turns up as the next victim.

Angel was a very realistic character and instantly likeable for me. The story had this underlying sadness with Angel staying off the pills, being able to hold a job, and finally getting her shit together… she just had to die to do it. And between the mysteries of who turned her into a zombie and who was leaving headless bodies all over town, it had me scrabbling to finish just to find out if my guess was right. (I was right! Yay!) The ending was good, (minus the slightly corny part when she kind of OD’d on brains) and I’m looking forward to reading the next one.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life As a White Trash Zombie.

07/11
11.0% "So why did I have the horrifying urge to grab a handful of that pink and grey mass and shove it into my mouth like movie popcorn?" 7 comments
07/11
27.0% "Okay, so another vote against the "Angel is a psycho killer" option. Whew."
07/11
34.0% "Gee, thanks for giving me paid time off, but that's not why I need to come to work. I need to dig through dead bodies cause I'm starving, yo."
50.0% "Chapter 17"
62.0% "A day without brains is like a day without sunshine." 6 comments
85.0% "Brain freeze!"
07/12
94.0% "Oh, yeah. I was about to burn me some brains."
03/29 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Do you have the book? If so, come read w/ us!!

Bonnie Sigh.. I don't have that yet. I was just trying to convince my honey last night that I needed it. I don't think he was listening. Lol When are you guys planning on reading it?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Sigh.. I don't have that yet. I was just trying to convince my honey last night that I needed it. I don't think he was listening. Lol When are you guys planning on reading it?"

In a couple of hours. I finished mowing the lawn (hubby is in texas) and I was planning on weed wacking until I realized there was no string (which took me way too long to figure out..yes I'm blond). I then went to put air in my tires and managed to break the air compressor. I figure I'm just trying to get my hubby back for breaking the washing machine. I just wish we'd break cheaper toys than air compressors and washing machines! Oh well.

Go buy the book. Tell your honey that you NEED the book and it will make you really happy and in return, it will make him really happy!

Bonnie Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Sigh.. I don't have that yet. I was just trying to convince my honey last night that I needed it. I don't think he was listening. Lol When are you guys planning on reading it?"

In..."

Lol My... sounds like you're having LOTS of fun. I wouldn't have any idea how to mow a lawn let alone figure out how to turn on a weed wacker (whacker? lol I don't know) so don't feel bad.

I'll try that. Although I've been buying a lot lately so he has a point when I ask him and his first response is "another?" lol

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Sigh.. I don't have that yet. I was just trying to convince my honey last night that I needed it. I don't think he was listening. Lol When ..."

My hubby and I have a deal, he can't say anything about my books and I keep my mouth shut on his computer parts (we have 11 computers- down from 13). Of course, we always break the deal but we nicely remind each other when we do say something.

Bonnie Lol Your recent message just gave me the courage to ask again and he finally gave me the OK. So yay! Amazon here I come.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "Lol Your recent message just gave me the courage to ask again and he finally gave me the OK. So yay! Amazon here I come."

I forgot, you have a Kindle right? In other words, how long before you get to read it? I'm such a little kid! No pressure, it's not like you don't have a million other books to read or anything. LOL

Wendy Darling We've never come right out and said it, but my husband and I have the same sort of deal. He doesn't say anything about my books or my craft supplies, and I don't say anything (view spoiler) about the guitars, the cameras, the sports, etc, etc. His hobbies are waaaay more expensive than mine!

Bonnie LOL Only a million and a half. And 4 that I'm in the middle of. hahaha But yes I have a Kindle, I'm not waiting for the book to come in the mail or anything. But I've got it now, and I'm all ready to go. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "We've never come right out and said it, but my husband and I have the same sort of deal. He doesn't say anything about my books or my craft supplies, and I don't say anything [spoilers removed] abo..."

You know Wendy, I've grabbed Bonnie, Maja is in, you are the last of our small but ever growing zombie group (anyone else is welcome to read every possible zombie book even though we claim not to zombie worship). You know you wanna? Come to the undead side...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "LOL Only a million and a half. And 4 that I'm in the middle of. hahaha But yes I have a Kindle, I'm not waiting for the book to come in the mail or anything. But I've got it now, and I'm all ready ..."

Yeah!!!!!!!!

And now a zombie cartoon for your viewing pleasure!

Bonnie JUST KIDDING!