Emma's Reviews > State of Wonder

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

May 27, 12

bookshelves: orange-prize-nominees, i-own, kindle-books, adventure, books-read-in-2012, fiction, favorites, top-reads-of-2012
Read from May 23 to 27, 2012

This book was incredible. I absolutely loved the story line and the way that it kept you wanting more, wanting to turn the pages until you had an outcome. This was a sad story to begin with but the search for what happened leads Marina, the main character, on an incredible journey through a world of science and unlikely occurrences in a world so different to her home town of Minnesota. The female characters in this book are all incredibly strong in their views and in their actions, with the male characters guiding the story - they say what is going to happen and the female characters do this, but they still drive their own path. This is an interesting story of student meets teacher in different circumstances and the teacher comes to rely on the student greatly, to the point of trying to control her and keep her where she is needed.

This story is colourful, captivating, and at times breath taking. This is definitely a summer day read where you can sit out and enjoy it with a glass of wine.

For me, this comes 2nd on my list of the Orange Shortlist, a close second to my favourite which is Song of Achilles. This is definitely one I would read again, and one that I would recommend.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Wonder.