Janet's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Jun 23, 11

Read in June, 2011

This story was a real life version of my thesis on early and child marriage. Anyone who is the least bit interested in this issue ought to read Nujood. And so should the rest of you :). This atrocious practice of violence against children is being combatted little by little, but like the drug war, I'm doubtful it will ever be eradicated completely. But still, Nujood's story brings hope and inspiration. Hope because when she went outside her family for help, she got it-through the court system in Yemen. And inspiration because of her boldness, other girls have followed suit, and "rebelled", as they say, against their abusive husbands. But it isn't just against husbands; the second perpetrators are mothers-in-law who often imprision and enslave child brides as soon as they enter their new home. They also and encourage their sons to be beat their child bride, ("hit her harder!" Nujood's mother in law told him) in order to get her to submit. Other articles that will increase your awareness (if you dare) of the prevalence of child marriage are 1) Fifteen Places Girls Marry by Fifteen,by Geraldine Ryerson-Cruz and 2) The Secret World of Child Brides, National Geographic, June 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.