Andrea Borod's Reviews > The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth by Alexandra Robbins

Jun 23, 11

As a high school teacher, I was excited to read this book after reading an eloquent interview with Alexandra Robbins in Salon.com. The problem with the book lies not with Robbins' sharp and accessible social analysis (this is her strength and, why she strays from it to include unbelievable dialogue, remains a mystery), but with the central characters: while trying to promote an understanding of the Cafeteria Fringe, Robbins follows a bunch of teenagers who speak as though their dialogue were written by a cheesy CW television writer. I simply could not get into the stories of these students, and did not buy the simple wrap-up to their high school lives.

I also found it unsettling that celebrities such as Angelina Jolie, etc. were the ones chosen as examples for those reading the book, as having experienced a tough time in high school. It seemed almost hypocritical, and way beneath Robbins' obvious level of intelligence.

I would, however, give her other books a try. As long as there isn't too much focus on what seems to be somewhat contrived social situations and dialogue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth.