Katrina's Reviews > The Windup Girl

liked it
bookshelves: adult, sci-fi
Recommended for: Those Who like Their Future Little Off the Wall
Read from June 23 to July 03, 2011 , read count: 1

I think my biggest problem with this book is that I went into it having read Ship Breaker, which is on a very different level than The Windup Girl. This book is more along the lines of Animal’s People--many characters, political plots, and set in a world wholly unlike our own.

This book was hard for me to get into. It’s a clever book but it was one of those books that, while I was content to read it when I was physically holding the open book on my lap, as soon as I put it down to go do something else, I felt no compulsion whatsoever to pick it up again. Despite effectively tackling an interesting and important issue—parasite resistance in crops—I found The Windup Girl to be a bit too convoluted. There are many different characters to follow and most of the names are unfamiliar. Bacigalupi has created a very vague world that is only a shadow of the world we live in today. On one hand this was freeing but I also found it made it hard to create a whole picture in my head.

Emiko was by far my favorite character. In the beginning I both pitied her and had a hard time understanding her actions. Even now, after finishing the book, I am still confused about her background. I felt like I was reading her story but had jumped in halfway through. I loved the strength and personality she gained throughout the book. A windup girl is an interesting concept and definitely a narrative that kept me turning the pages.

The numerous storylines all come together in the end to create a satisfying ending. Though having said that, I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head who absolutely needs to rush out and read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.