Kelly's Reviews > Robopocalypse

Jun 22, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, science-fiction, apocolypse
Read in August, 2011

I picked up this book based on the recommendations of Stephen King in Entertainment Weekly. It seemed like a good summer read. Who doesn't want to read about robots taking over the world? A nice respite from vampires and zombies taking over the world anyway.

This novel, told in flashback sequences through first-person accounts and computer recordings, is the story of how Archos took over computers and turned them against man. Like most apocalyptic stories, it's told in a not-too-distant future in which man has put some form of a computer into nearly all objects. The story starts with the first moments when Archos takes control, testing its strength and takes us through to the final moments of the New War.

There are great creepy bits in this book, images of robots coming to life, stalking victims, turning on ... us. Some good enough to be their own short film. But these were too few and too far between for me. Tension didn't build properly because there wasn't enough character development for me to care when disaster struck. Even in a robot apocalypse I need humanity. That isn't to say I need to have human characters worth caring about, I would have taken a robot or two instead. Wilson didn't give me humanity. Further, I didn't get any social commentary as I have from some of the better apocalyptic science fiction like the Hunger Games trilogy by Collins, The Road by McCarthy, The Passage by Cronin, or Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Finney. The only message is a warning about the pervasiveness of technology in our lives.

This will likely make a great movie. I am sure that it has already been optioned. Parts of the book already read like a script. Some of the visual descriptions were written almost as if they were instructions for a director. The character outlines here in the book will be perfect for a two-hour movie. They just weren't enough for a 350-page book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robopocalypse.

08/19/2011 page 95
28.0% "So far some very creepy sequences that would make good movies on their own."
show 2 hidden updates…

Karen Pickard-Four I'm interested to see what you think. There should be a 3.5 in the rating!

Kelly So far I am enjoying it, but I'm not far in. I have to wrap up Beauty Queens and I'm dragging on finishing it.

Karen Pickard-Four Huh, I really enjoyed. I do need to read the Passage by Cronin.

Kelly I waffled between two and three stars. I just kept thinking about how it could have been so amazing IF ONLY. I can see why some really like it. I just always have a hard time witha book when there aren't strong relationships and characters.