Lora's Reviews > The First Dragoneer

The First Dragoneer by M.R. Mathias

Jun 22, 11

Read on June 23, 2011

I enjoy bromance hunting fantasy immensely, but I'm displeased with how it ended. Several structural problems (inconsistent POV, grammar errors, incorrect word choices like "viscous scream"), plus factual errors (the hunting had a lot of mistakes, particularly with the archery; no hunter would even consider taking a doe and her fawns as trophies; and there were some problems with the injuries) rankled me enough to take off a star.

The biggest thing, though, is that the story builds up this friendship, which I really enjoyed, only to undermine it at the end. We're to understand that one moment of soul-bonding with a dragon overwrites their 17 years of friendship? No goodbye, no regret, nothing? I realize it's a setup to a series, but I'm still left dissatisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Dragoneer.

06/22/2011
9.0% "He almost loosed his arrow, but didn't out of wanting a buck so he could show off?! No self-respecting hunter kills a doe with her fawns. Come on! >:("
06/22/2011
21.0% "Getting POV whiplash here ..."
06/22/2011
100.0% "Waahhh!! Set up a fantastic bromance, only to drop it at the end? March may have instantly bonded with the dragon, but the readers don't care about that -- we care about March and Bren. Ah well."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tahyun (new)

Tahyun viscous scream? For realz?