Megan's Reviews > Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings

Jun 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: not-mine-library, audio-book, comedy
Read from June 22 to 24, 2011

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Wale Sings was pretty good. Eventually. Once I got into it.

Christopher Moore is hard to review. He strikes me as more of a comedian than an author. As such, if he keeps me entertained and makes me laugh out loud, I consider his book to be a success. Fluke is a typical Christopher Moore story in that it involves a group of wacky people working together in a preposterous situation. The whale and conservation info presented here was cool. And chapter eighteen wins best chapter title ever award: Chapter Eighteen, Heinous Fuckery Most Foul! =) I’m glad I went with the audio version of this book. Narrator Bill Irwin did a great job with the different voices and accents and gave the characters a lot of life. (Which sounds totally lame, but Christopher Moore’s characters all tend to be sarcastic and kind of snarky people. He writes the sort of characters which I think work fantastically in the right movie, but can fall flat in print.)

Christopher Moore fans will enjoy this one. While I don’t feel that it was as well written as Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck or The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror it made me laugh quite a bit. That’s gotta count for something =)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fluke.

06/25/2011