Dean's Reviews > Sandman Slim

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Jun 23, 11

Read in June, 2011

So, how do you like your pulp?
Noir?
Hard-Boiled?
Darkly humorous?
Supernatural?
This one has them all and they are all a treat.
I stumbled upon this book after looking into "Johannes Cabal" novels.
It came up as a recommendation and then I noted an endorsement on the front by one of my favorite authors; William Gibson.
Having just reread "Pattern Recognition" I felt this was kismet and did an impulse buy.
Really glad I did.
I think I found one of my new anti-heroes.
Not to give away too much:
Jimmy is fresh back from Hell and pretty pissed off. He has come back to kill those that sent him there and he has brought some new magic along with a really bad case of the "I hate peoples."
A former Necromancer in his own right, Jimmy learned a lot in the pits and he brings this arsenal of knowledge and power to bear against those...who have trespassed before him...:)
Magic, demons, angels, God, Lucifer and his minions all mix together.
Alliances are formed with both old and new friends and a fresh, nasty take on how things get done "Downtown."
I love this character. He is angry, but not over the top. He is both human and beyond humanity. Humane and inhumane. Dark and light.
His agenda is simple, but getting there is a real trip and Kadrey writes in a style very conducive to a fast paced read which is exactly what this book calls for.
I never saw cheese and though sometimes teetering on a cliche or two Kadrey narrowly escapes these trappings.
I am hopeful that this setup for a new series found it necessary to draw upon a few things 'trite' in order to get the 'team' together as it were.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and have just started reading the second in the series, "Kill The Dead."
I cannot wait until the third comes out in October.
Happy Hellhounds!
Namaste~
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandman Slim.