Doug's Reviews > The Whites of Their Eyes: Bunker Hill, the First American Army, and the Emergence of George Washington

The Whites of Their Eyes by Paul Lockhart

Jul 18, 11

Read from June 22 to July 18, 2011

Profesor Lockhart wriien an excellent account of the events leading up to the battle of Bunker Hil, the battle itself and the aftermath. I really liked this book on a numer of levels. First, it is extremely readable - none of the pretentious diction that seems to characterize so much historical writing nowdays. The Whites of their Eyes reads almost like a novel. Second, if Lockhart had an axe to grind, I can't fathom what it was. He seems to me to be very objective in his outlook and goes to some pains to point out both the favorable and unfavorable aspects of those he writes about. Third, he gives log overdue credit to some real patriots who have been overlooked by most historians - Artemas Ward, William Prescott and John Stark to name just a few. A well done effort that I will recommend to my friends who enjoy history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whites of Their Eyes.