Lee's Reviews > Homer's Odyssey

F 50x66
Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: in-real-life
Read in June, 2011

This book is so lovely! The author does a wonderful job of framing her own life's path against that of Homer (the kitty she adopts) - when she talks about what she "learned about love and life with a blind wonder cat," she manages to avoid the "oh please, let me roll my eyes now" type of sap that sometimes happen when you read pet-centered memoirs. At least, that was my perspective. Others might feel it still gets sappy...but I think the author wrote honestly, from a place of personal reflection, with appreciation for the obstacles her cat not only overcame, but in some cases, sidestepped altogether. She writes in a voice that is funny, genuine and down-to-earth.

But I also have to admit - part of my enjoying this book as much as I did is because there was a lot for me to relate to. No, I don't have a blind cat. But when she talks about explaining the few, but very important rules of her house to the pet-sitter, I appreciated knowing that someone else is that particular when it comes to their cat's care. When she explains how worried she would be about her cats when she was away, I understood that sentiment (especially thinking back to my last cat Dorian, with his medical problems). When she describes her fiance's insistence on coming to the vet with her because "he's my cat, too," I laughed with recognition - because that's so similar to what my own fiance says when I thank him for doing something to take care of Gru. Having grown up with cats, and having been a mama to two cats of my own, I understood the joy, stress and compassion that comes with living with cats...and she presents those so perfectly.

I think anyone who has a place in their hearts for cats will really like this story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer's Odyssey.