Arlene's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: arc, favorites, read-2011, ya-fantasy, autographed, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Bookers - ARC Tour Crystal
Read from September 19 to 22, 2011

Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love... It did not end well.

Rating Clarification: 10 Solid Stars

My FAVORITE book of 2011!

Whoa!! Absolutely amazing! Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor is nothing short of brilliant and spectacular. Does that tell you how much this book rocked my socks? Yeah, it sure did. Taylor has managed to hook me with her hauntingly beautiful YA Fantasy tale about angles, chimaeras, a long standing war, and a forbidden love between two creatures meant to be enemies. This is without a doubt the best book I’ve read this year, making me an instant fan of Taylor’s mesmerizing storytelling. It’s truly that AMAZING!

Seventeen year old Karou (Ka-roo) is an art student in Prague that fills her sketchbooks with captivating creatures that seem too close to real. She speaks several languages with ease; runs mysterious errands that take her around the world in a matter of moments; and comes back with bruises and scars not easily explained. What people don’t know is that she was raised in a dusty shop by the Wishmonger Brimstone who collects teeth for reasons yet unknown. And, Karou is about to be caught in the middle of a long standing battle between two enemies and the mysterious Akiva whose past is about to reveal some secrets Karou has been trying to uncover.

Taylor’s writing is slam dunk captivating. She is so vivid and precise with her narrative and setting that you can’t help but feel like you’re part of the fray. There is so much that makes up this story, but there isn’t one moment where you feel lost or confused. I could picture exactly where Taylor was taking me the entire time and her characters were so fascinating that I didn’t want to leave their side for one single moment.

There’s just a few short months before the year is out, and if you still don’t have a book to claim your top spot for 2011, read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. This will be sure to shoot to the top of your ranking. It sure did mine! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in this series. Call me hooked and give me more.

Thank you to my book twinie Crystal for sharing this amazing ARC with me. I absolutely loved it. Alexa, you’re next. :)

09/20/2011 page 57
14.0% "Crystal, this update is for you :P ... A.M.A.Z.I.N.G so far. I love it!!" 11 comments
09/21/2011 page 219
52.0% "One of those days when I want to call into work sick busy reading. Can't wait to get back to this book." 2 comments
09/22/2011 page 336
80.0% "GAH! This book if friggin AMAZING!! I don't want it to end." 16 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dija Really looking forward to your thoughts on this one!

Arlene I'm so excited to start this today! It's been sitting on my shelf since Friday. :)

Jasprit This is one of my faves of the year, happy reading :)

Arlene Wow, this is really good, so I can see why you loved it Jasprit. I can't put it down.

♥Rachel♥ Oooh, this one does look good! I just added to my TBR on Sunday. Can't wait for your final verdict!

Arlene Rachel, I can tell you right now I am going to highly recommend this book. It is pure awesome. I am more than half way done and I can't wait to get home from work to read more. It comes out next week and I"m buying my own copy. :)

Alexa Your favorite book this year? Wow! Now I'm even more excited! I'm so ready for this! LOL Awesome review. :D

Arlene Thank you Alexa. And yes! Without a doubt my favorite so far. I love YA Fantasy, but it has to be just right. I feel the same way about this book that I did for Finnikin in 2010. Loved it!

Jasprit Great review Arlene, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm going to by myself a copy too! Can't wait for the next book in the series, I hope we don't have to wait too long :|

Giselle I have not see 1 bad review of this. Lucky you to have gotten an ARC! Coming out next week though :D

Arlene @ Jasprit. LOL me too!! I have to own this book. I loved it so much. I know, that cliffy was intense and I can't wait to read more. So glad you loved it too.

@ Giselle. I noticed that too. It seems to be getting stellar ratings. Yes, it's coming out next week and I hope you get to read and enjoy it. :)

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Warren Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)

Arlene You're welcome Michelle. Hope you get a chance to try it out. :)

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Warren I'll definitely be downloading it the day it comes out!

Crystal Woohoo your favorite book of 2011!!! That is so awesome!! I loved this one too so so much!! Taylor definitely has a magical way with words. I want the next now too!! Alexa I really hope you like it!! Brimstone is one of my favorite characters and Karou just rocks! Okay I could go on and on XD Great review!!

For those who are waiting to get it I noticed at my B&N today that it was out on the shelves!!

message 16: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Wow, what an absolutely amazing review! I wanna read this book right now after hearing what you have to say about it!

Arlene @ Michelle. Happy reading!

@ Crystal. This was definitely pure awesome. The characters, the pacing, the setting... all so perfect! Thanks so much Crystal! Wow, they shelved it early. So cool!

@ Dija. Thanks so much! Sounds like B&N has the books out. Happy reading!! =D

♥Rachel♥ Wow, that's a serious recommend from you Arlene! Great review. I'm getting this one next with Lola & the Boy Next Door!

message 19: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany So glad you loved this one. You encouraged me to buy my own copy :)

Arlene @ Rachel. Yay! I can't wait to see what you think of this and Lola. You've got a good line-up. :)

@ Brittany. Thanks so much! LOL the art cover and the story = amazing. I hope you love it. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Smokin! Your review is just sizzlin and now I eat my words. Yes, I will be reading this book Arlene. It sounds too awesome to pass up. For me, your review did the book more justice than the synopsis. I am so glad you enjoyed this book, hopefully you are able to find your socks. LOL

Trinity I'm going to start this ASAP :)

Arlene @ JJJ. LOL I'm glad I was able to change your mind. :P HA! ~looks under the couch for socks~

@ Trinity. You have to let me know what you think of it. Hope you enjoy it! :)

message 24: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Glad to hear it is so amazing Arlene! Can't wait to read it :)

message 25: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Great review Arlene ! I am definitely going to pick this up in my book haul tomorrow.:)

Arlene @ Nic, Thanks so much. I can't wait for you to read it!

@ Sarah, Thank you!! Yay! Happy reading. :)

message 27: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I was trying so hard to decide if this book was worth reading or not, because it sounds kind of intriguing, but I wasn't really sold on the idea I would like it..HOWEVER your review makes me REALLY want to read it now, so I guess my mind is finallllllly made up!! Thanks for another awesome review!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Arlene what POV is this book written?

Arlene @ Jessica. Wow! Thank you so much. :) This book is definitely getting well deserved praise, so I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think of it when you're done. K? XD

@ JJJ, it's written from Karou's POV. She's a great narrator. Hope you like it. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Well if it is your favorite book all year then I must read it. Says a lot with all you have read. I am so glad you loved it Arlene.

Arlene Awww thanks so much JJJ. I hope you like it. It's been getting some pretty rave reviews, so here's hoping it's a hit for you too. :)

message 32: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Your favourite book of 2011?? Oh my gosh, and I thought I was excited to read this book before! Now I'm SUPER PUMPED! It sounds so amazing! :)

Arlene Mimi, this book was sooooo good!! I hope you like it. XD