CorLostForWords's Reviews > The Witch of Babylon: Book One In The Mesopotamian Trilogy

The Witch of Babylon by D.J. McIntosh

Jun 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: blog-tour, for-review
Read from June 22 to 23, 2011

Source: Received from publicist. Many thanks goes to Bronwyn from Penguin Canada for sending me a copy of this book for review. I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 3.5/5

John Madison is still reeling from the death of his brother, Samuel, when suddenly, Hal, one of his longtime friends, is murdered. Madison is pulled into a terrifying game of historical and Biblical proportions when he realizes that Hal stole an artifact from his deceased brother, Samuel. When an arcane group comes after John for the artifact, he will have to track it down to save not only himself, but those around him. With danger lurking ever closer, he will have to solve the riddles left to him by Hal before he is pulled in too deep. What follows will unveil a complex yet famous myth hidden within the annals of history.
John is a complex character. He lives his life in shades of gray, but he is not all bad. He is quite knowledgeable about certain elements pertaining to art and archaeology, however when tasked with figuring out the riddles given to him by his deceased friend, he struggles. He reaches out to certain people and entrusts the riddles with them, but they still take a while to figure things out. I found that dragged for me.
However, the history used, and the amount of research that went into this book is phenomenal. I am an avid fan of anything historical and I love reading up on it. Though The Witch of Babylon does not necessarily have as staggering a reveal as The Da Vinci Code, it still has an excellent theological, and mythological premise. I was hooked when it first opened up and we started to get to the meat of the story. I loved reading about the history, as well as the action that follows as John races against time to save his life and the lives of those closest to him.
With complex characters, and an intricately woven plot, this is a fast-paced read. The mythological and theological ramifications just add to the story. Though The Witch of Babylon starts off slow, it ramps up speed as it keeps the reader invested in the outcome.
All in all, a thrilling race against time as John travels half-way across the world to find a hidden and stolen artifact. Those who enjoy religious thrillers, or thrillers in general are sure to enjoy The Witch of Babylon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch of Babylon.