Rebecca's Reviews > The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie: A Doll's History and Her Impact on Us

The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie by Tanya Lee Stone

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in June, 2011

I read this because it got so many good reviews, and it basically deserved them. I thought it did get a little repetetive with all the pro-con quotes; the conclusion to draw, I think, is that people are divided on the subject. Some think Barbie represents a strong woman with many careers and that little girls will see from playing with her that they can do anything, and others think the only thing little girls will see is an image of perfection they can never attain. I don't think that argument will end anytime soon. All I wanted from my Barbie when I was a kid was a little more flexibility so she could ride horses without her legs popping off.

Anyway, I enjoyed most the history of Barbie, particularly all the different versions I never knew about (I knew Malibu Barbie and that was about it), and the controversies about racial representation. I was also amused by the chapter on how Barbies are abused, both by putting them in compromising positions in the nude, and through general torture (not always done by brothers!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie.