Lexie's Reviews > Under Wraps

+ Chick with Sword on Cover CHECK
+ More Snarkiness then you can toss a boot at CHECK
+ Sassy Paranormal Best Friend CHECK
+ Interesting City CHECK

So it has all these things. Theory states that if you give a Lexie her favorite tropes she is BOUND to enjoy the book.

Well I was never very good at science.

The problem is Jayne tried entirely too hard to make Sophie the sassiest, coolest non-magical person in the entirety of Urban Fantasydom. Whenever Sophie made a snarky quip I cringed--they felt forced when partnered with her rather boy crazy attitude.

Much of my problems are in the fact that the book tries to have this 'chummy' sort of atmosphere when Sophie (our MC) narrates the tale. Rather then feeling as if this is a talk between 'us girls' it makes me feel uncomfortable. We learn WAY too much about just how horny Sophie feels around her boss. And her new reluctant partner. And the two of them together.

Some of her observations are interesting--she genuinely enjoys the job she has and knows an awful lot of entertaining folk. And she does know a lot about the paranormal community. Jayne includes some creatures I never knew existed--like the two-faced Kishi's. I appreciated that she tried to keep things a little different.

Then her sort of tour guide schtick was grating as well. She dispenses information about the world, the Underworld and the two combined like a Disney cruise director. 'Over here are the pixies--they get nasty fast. And over there are zombies--always losing their forms.' While over time some of the generalizations she makes are proven differently, I thought it rather gauche of her to say such sweeping statements.

Essentially Sophie's partner in solving some brutal murders is Parker--as normal an American cop as you can get. Knows next to nothing about paranormals he didn't learn from some highly doubtful resources. This is usually how their interviewing of witnesses goes:

Parker: So--
Sophie: Parker NO! Bad idea!
Parker: Why?
Sophie: Because that's a [insert creature's name] and they like to [insert natural habits] so never [insert action here]. Ever.

Fun right? Except its not after the first twelve times. I understand Jayne wanted to give us an idea about the world, but I have to think there was far better ways. Or maybe just not include as MANY types next time.

And this has nothing to do with the author or writing, but I cry foul on the cover artist--as pleasing as the cover is its about as far from what Sophie looks like as possible. "I nonchalantly patted my Brillo pad curls..." (page 4) Long flowing locks of reddish hue are not Brillo pad curls. I have friends with hair like that. Believe me the torture they put themselves through to get curl free straight hair is nothing short of miraculous.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Wraps.

06/22 page 19
06/25 page 21
6.0% "she's trying too hard, the author that is"
03/11 marked as: books-owned-read