Melanie McCullough's Reviews > Paradise 21

Paradise 21 by Aubrie Dionne

Jun 22, 2011

bookshelves: my-favorites
Read in July, 2011

Aubrie Dionne's writing is phenomenal. The book never left me wanting or tempted to skim through in an effort to get to the good stuff. The entire novel is the good stuff. She revved up the action when I needed her to and slowed the pace at just the right moment.

Aries isn't your run-of-the-mill kick-ass heroine. She's spent her entire life aboard the New Dawn, a colonial ship heading for a planet where mankind can start over. She's vulnerable and complex. She's not sure what she's going to do or how she's going to survive, but she's brave enough to try. Brave enough to believe that there's a better life in the universe than the confines of the ship, an assigned job, and an arranged marriage to a man she can hardly stand, let alone love.

Striker is majorly swoon-worthy, tough and resilient yet gentle and caring. I've read some complaints that Aries fell in love too quickly, but I never felt this to be the case. I look at it as first love. Something Aries had never felt before and if you remember your first taste of love, you remember that it's always fast and intense.

The secondary characters were equally as well-developed and intriguing. Barliss in particular demands your attention when he's on the page. I found myself despising him but at the same time wanting to see more of him.

My only complaint is that it ended. I wanted more. There were a few things left dangling. Not enough to affect the storyline, but enough to give me hope that we're not completely done with Aries, Striker, Tiff or Barliss yet. The novel is labeled as A New Dawn #1, so I'm assuming a sequel is in the works. If this is the case, I can't wait for the next one.

I loved this book and would recommended it to anyone who likes SciFi or romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise 21.

06/28/2011 page 100