Courtney's Reviews > Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness

Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in June, 2011

I added this book to my list after finding "One Year Off" on Amazon. Reviewers kept referring to this book, so I decided to read it.

Fromm's story is intriguing: a 19 year old boy/man living alone in the Idaho wilderness for 9 months, surviving by his own hands/mind. The writing is rather journalistic and you get to ride along with Fromm as he takes this journey.

The story ends too abruptly for me. I wish he had added a bit about his transition back to "real life".

My main take away from this book is that we don't realize the way that our circumstances can/will change us. Fromm went into this as an adventure, never thinking that it would change his perspective so much. He ended up with much more respect for nature/wildlife. His chosen career path shows this.

If you are intrigued by what a "mountain man's" solitary life might be, this is an enjoyable read. This goes well with my collection of others who have given up the luxuries of every day life to go back to basics, to more simplicity, to hard work and the rewards thereof. Books on that list include "Better Off" and "One Year Off".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indian Creek Chronicles.