Adriana's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Sep 07, 2011

bookshelves: ya-adventure, ya-fantasy, ya-self-identity
Read from August 29 to September 07, 2011

Genius. I loved this book. Maybe because I'm a sucker for animals, but you would think since these are killer horses that I would not be in love with the mythical capall uisce that Stiefvater writes about. But alas, I was enchanted by not only the killer horses but the riders of the Scorpio Races. Sean Kendrick lost his father during a Scorpio Race, but he found the red water horse, Corr, that his father was riding that day and he has now won the past four races with him. Puck or Kate Connolly will be the first woman ever to ride in the races and she won't be riding a capall, but rather her beloved Dove. Her parents were killed by the capall uisce. Both riders have their reasons for wanting to win this year's races and both reasons are important enough to risk their lives for it. The writing was exceptional, kind of moody and definitely charming. I can't pin point what era this is taking place in, but my best guess is the thirties or forties? But really it could be taking place at any time. The setting of the book is an island with tall, tall cliffs looking over the ocean and each November The Scorpio Races take place on the strip of beach alongside the black sea. The capall uisce rise from the sea, they are fast, they are blood hungry, and they are fierce. But Sean Kendrick has a way with them, especially with his beloved water horse Corr. There is romance in the story, coming of age, the love of family, jealousy, betrayal, and of course a love of horses, both of land and water variety. I think what I loved the most about the story was that both Sean and Puck are in search of what they love - of their own happiness. The great thing is that they find it amongst themselves and their horses. They also love their home, even if it is also home to unpredictable, and beautiful, killer horses. A must read for teens and adults, especially if you like fantasy but want something totally unique and fresh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.