Jacqueline's Reviews > Marrying The Royal Marine

Marrying The Royal Marine by Carla    Kelly

Apr 09, 15

bookshelves: peninsular-war, regency, older-man, historical-romance, harlequin, from-the-library, portugal, get-copy
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

Very well done Peninsular War story. Not really a Regency although set in that time of course. Instead of just having the hero home from the war, this story takes place mainly in Portugal and gives a clear picture of the trials that the Portuguese and Spanish people had to deal with during those war years. The love story was very believable. I loved the older hero who, while being an honorable Royal Marine, was a dandy and knew it, who was too old for the heroine and knew it and also knew that he could marry much better than an illegitimate girl and ignored all that and fell in love with the heroine anyway. The heroine was young but charming and strong. She was never TSTL and let the hero protect her while doing her best to take care of him. They both acted true to the mores of the times and even the extent of their physical love scenes all had a realistic rationale.

This was a story of people who lived in 1812 not the story of modern people dropped into the early 19th century as so many Regencies are these days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marrying The Royal Marine.

07/09/2011 page 185
64.0% "I've never been a big fan of HQ Historicals but I'm glad I took the advice of some GR friends and picked this up. A wonderful feel of the Napoleonic war."

Kathleen One of Kelly's best. Great review. Agree with your final statement.

Jacqueline Thanks, I'm thinking I may need to reread this one soon.

Kathleen I hear you! :-)