Kate's Reviews > The French Revolution

Jun 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: bay-area, author-get-over-thyself
Read in June, 2011

Sooooooooo...I don't know. Almost too quirky at times, and yet I kept reading. Maybe if I knew more than the barest bones about the French Revolution, I might have benefited from some historical context for this unpredictable, over-the-top, semi-hostile story. It's safe to say that parts of the book mirror historical events, but for all I know it's a play-by-play Revolution re-enactment set in modern San Francisco.

Read this book if you're looking for literature based in the Bay Area, and if you don't need to like any of the characters in your novels, and if you have a high tolerance for farce and heightened reality. It's very engaging, and at times even funny, but you won't be left with any warm fuzzy feelings. Which is appropriate, I guess.

I'm also including this on my 'author-get-over-thyself' shelf because Stewart tweeted the whole novel at one point. Publishing a 300-page book in 140-character installments strikes me as...unhygienic.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The French Revolution.