Christy Dorrity's Reviews > Watched

Watched by Cindy M. Hogan

1193738
Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

Watched is a political thriller that will have you routing for the inexperienced teens who escape terrorists in the nation's capital and in the process find themselves.

The backdrop for Watched is Washington D.C., where a high school student witnesses a violent act of terrorism.

I love being taken places that I want to visit someday and Washington D.C. is on the list. The setting and the political background is a nice change of pace for me. I do wish that the teens would have explored more of the monuments and museums that are hot tourist spots.

The book is a clean read with mild kissing and swearing that is only referenced, not spelled out.

I related to Christy right away (and not just because we share an awesome name). She is trying to figure out who she is and how to act so that people will like her and overlook her past braininess (is that a word?). Her character arc is effective and by the end I was cheering for her ability to integrate her new Washington D.C. self with the brainy self she was trying to escape. She changes socially, emotionally and physically.

The cast of characters in Watched is well fleshed out and I enjoyed the time the gang spends together. I like both love interests, Alex and Rick but Christy's flippant attitude about the two boys bugs me. I suppose a lot of teens act selfishly when they first start to date, but I feel bad for the boys and distanced myself from Christy a bit because of it.

The internal dialogue is well done and Cindy has a knack for getting into the character's head. There were times that the dialogue went on too long for my tastes and felt a bit dumbed down, but for the most part it helps push the plot forward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watched.