J.D. Field's Reviews > The Floating Islands

The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier

Jun 27, 11

Read from June 22 to 27, 2011

I completely loved this book. One of the best I've read for months. The world creation is breathtaking in its scope and originality.
I read this book in part because the cover is so eyecatching and in part because of my last vacation when I discovered some
MAGIC ISLANDS of my own...
But even if you didn't have a bit of an island obsession I think you'd love this. Trei is orphaned (and this is complex and beautifully dealt with) and goes to the Floating Islands to stay with his mothers family. The world of the islands is almost as strange to him as it is to us, and his eyes see beautifully for us, the tiers of palace balconies on the underside of the island high above the sea.
His cousin is a rich contrast. The same age, she is obsessed with cooking. She has a deep understand of flavours and the culinary arts, and perceives a lot of the world around her in terms of flavours. This unique angle is brilliantly presented.
Both the young characters are brave, but slightly wounded, and approach their moments of truth in stops and starts of growing self awareness. For a quite normal sized book it's absolutely packed with story, ideas, images and adventures. And then there's the Floating-ness of it all. There are flying warriors, who put together wings from borrowed feathers and they soar on dragon winds, seeing currents of air with their special eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Floating Islands.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Henrikas Genutis I wish i could have said something that good. but all i can say is i love it