Nikki Frankel's Reviews > Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women

Dear John, I Love Jane by Candace Walsh

Jul 01, 11

Read from June 22 to July 01, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book billed itself as something different, but I was kind of bored. The stories were very similar and I stopped caring. Sometimes it just seemed strange- there just wasn't enough tension and drama. I wanted to know more about what it was like for a marriage to dissolve, for children to acclimate to their mother being a lesbian, to be confident in what you were feeling. Instead, story after story followed the "I was married, then I wasn't and now I'm with this amazing woman and we'll be happy together forever!" I understand that when people are writing about their own lives they are limited by the truth. But I just didn't find these stories compelling and I had to force myself to finish the collection. I was turned off by the only casual mentions of bisexuality, that for almost all of these women it was never a real possibility, even though they clearly had sexual and emotional attachments to both men and women. It seemed like the overall message was that "gay" can sneak up on anyone and you have to be open to it no matter when it happens and who it might hurt. Maybe I'm just getting defensive because of my own struggles with my sexuality. Bottom line- it was difficult for me to read this book. It made me uncomfortable and at times angry. I don't think that was the intention of the people who put the collection together. It all just seemed a bit too much of woe is me and not enough admitting their own mistakes and shortcomings. I purchased this book for 99 cents on amazon for my kindle and it was worth that much as it is different from most other things I have read. If you want to take a chance on this, I suggest you pay the minimum amount you can.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John, I Love Jane.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Laila Well, I don't think I'd give it this harsh or a review, but I do agree with a lot of what you said! It did feel like once you read one or two of the stories, you read them all! It did need a bit more of a variety.