Keith's Reviews > The Bookman

The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, science-fiction, ebooks
Read from June 22 to July 04, 2011

The Bookman is an entertaining mashup of steampunk and alien invasion. The premise is outlandish - sometime in the past, I was never quite sure, perhaps as far back as Queen Elizabeth I, aliens crash landed in the Caribbean. They existed in some sort of suspended animation until accidentally awakened. Once awake they proceeded to take over the British monarchy and by extension, the Empire. The aliens are also very tall bipedal green lizards (waring very nice clothes). So, from this shaky premise Tidhar builds a steampunk tale of revolt again the rule of "Les Lezards." Famous persons from the 19th century, both real and fictional team up to help our hero, the eponymous "Orphan" raise the forces of revolution. Because, of course, Orphan has a destiny. He is assisted in his labors by Jules Verne, Irene Adler, the automaton Lord Byron, Sherlock Holmes and his brother Mycroft. Oh, the Prime Minister of England is Moriarty. Mycroft flies around in a black airship doing secret things. Jules Verne and the Nautilus show up. Outlandish and great fun. There's a sequel, Camera Obscura which I plan to read to read soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookman.

07/02/2011 page 212